Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 AM

29 posts, read 50,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is an entirely plausible story but judging from your past posts it seems like you have a lot of issue with the place you live in. Not sure if you will ever be happy there.
No, I am not happy at all. I am pretty much depressed and and planning to leave in 2 years. Unfortunately, I can't leave earlier. And after I am done with here, I won't want to remember anything about this place except maybe mountains and rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 08:55 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad81 View Post
No, I am not happy at all. I am pretty much depressed and and planning to leave in 2 years. Unfortunately, I can't leave earlier. And after I am done with here, I won't want to remember anything about this place except maybe mountains and rivers.
Not every place is a good fit for every person.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 AM

23 posts, read 29,231 times
A normal day in Quebec....

I look at the facebook comments. I think some germans in 1930 would have said the same...

This place is racist.

Maybe you don't read french so you don't really understand what they say and you try to defend them. But you can't defend people like that.

One of my friend went to a supermarket few weeks ago in Montreal. And a lady asked him where he is from. He replied from France. She was replied she thought he was from Morocco because of his skin. When he told her he is mixed and was born in France. She left and cried "Mohammed"...

Racist and stupid stories happen everyday in Quebec...

And yeah, leave and go to Canada. Quebec is a hell for minorities... Canadians are the best people I've never met. And Quebecois are the worst...

Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
A normal day in Quebec....

I look at the facebook comments. I think some germans in 1930 would have said the same...

This place is racist.

Maybe you don't read french so you don't really understand what they say and you try to defend them. But you can't defend people like that.

One of my friend went to a supermarket few weeks ago in Montreal. And a lady asked him where he is from. He replied from France. She was replied she thought he was from Morocco because of his skin. When he told her he is mixed and was born in France. She left and cried "Mohammed"...

Racist and stupid stories happen everyday in Quebec...

And yeah, leave and go to Canada. Quebec is a hell for minorities... Canadians are the best people I've never met. And Quebecois are the worst...
Judging from your posts it would seem that you have prejudices against Québécois people yourself. So it's kind of hard to tell who is right and who is wrong, isn't it?

And yes, I speak French. I live pretty much my entire life in French. I am not 100% European in origin but I look white, speak with a Quebec accent and have French sounding first and last names. I am an "insider" and so I know what francophone Québécois are thinking and discuss when minority people are not around. 99.99% of the time, it sure as hell isn't something derogatory about "Arabs" or people from France whose skin might happen to be dark...

Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Oh really ?
So I've met the wrong people for three years...

And yes, I have a lot of prejudices against quebecois. But I've had none before to come in Quebec...

Old 11-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Oh really ?
So I've met the wrong people for three years...

And yes, I have a lot of prejudices against quebecois. But I've had none before to come in Quebec...
I've had lots of bad experiences with lots of people from lots of identifiable human groups over the years. Some groups are seriously over-represented in my log book BTW.

But I've chosen not to let that cloud my judgement of individuals.

Nicer way to live.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Ignorance is bliss...

Me I can't hide the truth about this province.

My nicer way to live is to run away from Quebec...

Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss...

As I said... not every place is made for every person.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:31 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss...

I have had my share of bad experiences with Quebecois, but overall I find them pretty cool. It wasn't Quebecois that seemed to have the most problem with me in Mtl.

As far as the Muslim lady at costco, I have to say I am surprised an employee would say something like that in an area with such a high Muslim population and I'm sure there are plenty of Muslims working at that costco. I have seen Muslims in Mtl freak out over much smaller things, I'm willing to bet this employee has received several dozen death threats already.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have had my share of bad experiences with Quebecois, but overall I find them pretty cool. It wasn't Quebecois that seemed to have the most problem with me in Mtl.

As far as the Muslim lady at costco, I have to say I am surprised an employee would say something like that in an area with such a high Muslim population and I'm sure there are plenty of Muslims working at that costco. I have seen Muslims in Mtl freak out over much smaller things, I'm willing to bet this employee has received several dozen death threats already.
I think this is a good point. I don't know about Muslims specifically but certainly a store like Costco in this part of town will have a pretty diverse staff and the employee involved might actually be of immigrant origin himself or herself.

I have friends who are African and Latin American who are not particularly tolerant of Muslims. Lebanese Christians as well who can pass for French Canadian Québécois in look and accent.

You never really know who you're dealing with, and also let's not forget that in such cases it's he said-she said too. Her word against the employee's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal