Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 AM

48 posts, read 80,349 times

Advertisements

So I'm an American student at the Université du Québec à Montréal. I'm about to finish and leave Montreal but I have insurance that I had to buy through the university and I thought it would be a good idea to have a few things checked before I go since I won't have insurance for a while in the US.

I try to figure out how to find a doctor and from what I can gather it takes about a year to get a doctor, which means I can't make an appointment anywhere and instead have to rely on walk-in services. "Ok", I thought. I called my nearby CLSC, even though I'm not really sure exactly what a CLSC is, and they told me that I wouldn't be able to be seen there and sent me to a walk-in clinic. I kinda thought a CLSC was a clinic, but I guess not.

So I go to this clinic at 9am and they tell me they're booked for the whole day already. I had read online about people going to these clinics at noon and being seen in 45 minutes, so I thought this was weird, but I went back today anyway at 7:30am just to be safe. They weren't full this time, but they asked me for some card that I've never heard of, so I handed them my insurance card. I told them I was American and they told me I'd have to pay $160 cash to be seen, even with insurance, and they told me that it would cost even more at a hospital. My understanding of how fees worked here was that you pay up front, get a receipt, then your insurance reimburses you, but at a clinic also and in cash? In the US, all clinics are free, otherwise it's called a doctor's office. Is that not the case here? Or does "free" maybe mean something different?

I guess what I really want to know is how billing works here and if the fee I was gonna be charged was simply because I'm not Canadian or something. It seems a bit absurd to boast of universal healthcare if only people who have $160 cash that they won't need for however many weeks to months it takes to get reimbursed can be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal