Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM

565 posts, read 672,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
Here's what one would call an *anecdote*:

Someone mentioned in this thread (I think) Sugar Sammy as an example of Bill 101 kids coming of age and not being *alien* to French-speaking Quebec. I heard an interview of him where he said his best language is English, that he learned English playing with kids in his neighborhood (children of other Allophone immigrants who also went to French schools). He said all the kids in the neighborhood spoke English to each other. I believe he grew up in Côte-des-Neiges.
Sugar Sammy's represents what happened in the Côte-des-Neiges borough of the 80's/early 90's, and generally speaking areas west of Autoroute Decarie. This whole area represents 20% of the population of the metropolitain region, maybe. Immigrants who settle elsewhere (and there are tons now in francophone suburbs) tend to integrate to the francophone majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM

128 posts, read 143,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Sugar Sammy's represents what happened in the Côte-des-Neiges borough of the 80's/early 90's, and generally speaking areas west of Autoroute Decarie. This whole area represents 20% of the population of the metropolitain region, maybe. Immigrants who settle elsewhere (and there are tons now in francophone suburbs) tend to integrate to the francophone majority.
Mother Tongue (%) Home Language (%)
FR EN FR EN
Burrough

St-Laurent 29.0 15.6 36.9 25.5
Saint-Léonard 30.5 8.8 41.9 21.6
Ville-Marie 52.1 16.9 52.1 26.9

These burroughs are all east of Décarie. In all places, English is surpassing, even blowing away French in terms of assimilation power.

On the offshore suburbs, things do not look so good either across the board. Brossard, for example, is becoming a little Anglophone Canada mecca.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:41 PM

518 posts, read 398,310 times
Today is the birthday of this topic - its one-year anniversary, happy birthday to this theard, thank you all for contributing, let's celebrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've exchanged with Charles Castonguay on this issue a number of times.

You're meeting VIPs and you're telling us...just now?! What did he say?

Quote:
Sugar Sammy was born in Montreal in 1976. He is just a bit younger than me. He was born the year the PQ was first elected and they passed Bill 101 one year later. So he was on the leading edge of kids who went to French school when their parents probably never imagined that this would happen after they immigrated to "Canada".

Sugar Sammy actually speaks French with a very slight Anglo-Montrealer accent.

You are using him as a POSITIVE example???
Sugar Sammy is ANTI-French and pro-English!
Look, he has made an attack on the French language with this poster:

I was terrified and horrified when I saw this in Montréal downtown, I felt like I was in New York or Toronto. This wasn't Montréal anymore. Awful. He has extremely devaluated French and showed absolutely no respect for it.

Sammy had the audacity to disobey Bill 101 and what's even more horrifying is, is that he was allowed to make such posters.

Luckily, there is OQLF and by the glory of its guardians, Montréal's advertising space has been rescued, I'm glad that OQLF rightfully censored his disastrous, unacceptable & cheeky poster:

Quote:
That was me. Sugar Sammy as I said was born in 1976.
And do you know why he makes bilingual shows? 'cause his French is so bad that he needs to resort to English... He was born in 1976 (we have now 2019) and still hasn't learnt French perfectly and tries to destroy it instead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
Here's what one would call an *anecdote*:

Someone mentioned in this thread (I think) Sugar Sammy as an example of Bill 101 kids coming of age and not being *alien* to French-speaking Quebec. I heard an interview of him where he said his best language is English, that he learned English playing with kids in his neighborhood (children of other Allophone immigrants who also went to French schools). He said all the kids in the neighborhood spoke English to each other. I believe he grew up in Côte-des-Neiges.

I read on wikipedia that Sammy Sugar went to Mariannopolis college (mega English!) and later to McGill university (ultra English!). Obvioulsy he has no passion for French and ditched it as fast as he could.

Sugar Sammy is a prime example of an Allophone who cannot be forced by law to become francophone, he is a prime example of an Allophone turning into an anglophone despite our (ultra-weak) laws.

And the irony is..the only reason why he is still in Québec is, because he is too bad for Anglo-Canada and the US...he has too much and too big competition in the rest on the continent. Instead of trying to undermine French , Sammy Sugar should first think of the fact that he would be a nobody if it wasn't for French and that if he spoke only English, he would be a loser (because he had 0% chance in US-america and anglo-canada) - but is he thankful for french? he isn't even...

Quote:

Côte-des-Neiges now is evenly divided into 1/3 franco, 1/3 anglo, 1/3 allo.... If he didn't integrate 25 years ago into the Franco-community, the allophones of today certainly won't either (as Côte-des-neiges is becoming less and less franco). And I think his parents only have send him to french school because the anglo schools were not on his next bus line. Maybe the government should subventionize bus lines to franco schools and around anglo schools, there should be construction zones and lots of red traffic lights, that would help to boost french again.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:58 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
Today is the birthday of this topic - its one-year anniversary, happy birthday to this theard, thank you all for contributing, let's celebrate

You're meeting VIPs and you're telling us...just now?! What did he say?

You are using him as a POSITIVE example???
Sugar Sammy is ANTI-French and pro-English!
Look, he has made an attack on the French language with this poster:

I was terrified and horrified when I saw this in Montréal downtown, I felt like I was in New York or Toronto. This wasn't Montréal anymore. Awful. He has extremely devaluated French and showed absolutely no respect for it.

Sammy had the audacity to disobey Bill 101 and what's even more horrifying is, is that he was allowed to make such posters.

Luckily, there is OQLF and by the glory of its guardians, Montréal's advertising space has been rescued, I'm glad that OQLF rightfully censored his disastrous, unacceptable & cheeky poster:

And do you know why he makes bilingual shows? 'cause his French is so bad that he needs to resort to English... He was born in 1976 (we have now 2019) and still hasn't learnt French perfectly and tries to destroy it instead....

I read on wikipedia that Sammy Sugar went to Mariannopolis college (mega English!) and later to McGill university (ultra English!). Obvioulsy he has no passion for French and ditched it as fast as he could.

Sugar Sammy is a prime example of an Allophone who cannot be forced by law to become francophone, he is a prime example of an Allophone turning into an anglophone despite our (ultra-weak) laws.

And the irony is..the only reason why he is still in Québec is, because he is too bad for Anglo-Canada and the US...he has too much and too big competition in the rest on the continent. Instead of trying to undermine French , Sammy Sugar should first think of the fact that he would be a nobody if it wasn't for French and that if he spoke only English, he would be a loser (because he had 0% chance in US-america and anglo-canada) - but is he thankful for french? he isn't even...

Côte-des-Neiges now is evenly divided into 1/3 franco, 1/3 anglo, 1/3 allo.... If he didn't integrate 25 years ago into the Franco-community, the allophones of today certainly won't either (as Côte-des-neiges is becoming less and less franco). And I think his parents only have send him to french school because the anglo schools were not on his next bus line. Maybe the government should subventionize bus lines to franco schools and around anglo schools, there should be construction zones and lots of red traffic lights, that would help to boost french again.
If you are going to allow "the others" (sic ) into the tent, you have to allow them to have their own opinions and influence things. Keeping them out because they'll *contaminate* you is exactly the old Duplessis era mindset, and which is what let to 90%+ of immigrants assimilating to the anglophone community prior to Bill 101 being adopted.

Anyway, I am not even sure that Sugar Sammy actually thinks what he says in his act. He's a comic, not a politician. Part of his thing is to provoke people. I've heard him say before that Bill 101 was a good thing, because without it he never would have learned French.

And BTW, his French is fine.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 AM

565 posts, read 672,324 times
Quote:
(...)
Anyway, I am not even sure that Sugar Sammy actually thinks what he says in his act. He's a comic, not a politician. Part of his thing is to provoke people. I've heard him say before that Bill 101 was a good thing, because without it he never would have learned French.

And BTW, his French is fine.
Pretty much like Yvon Deschamps used to do. He exagerates to get his point across. I've seen him a few of his shows and I don't think I have ever laughed so much. He shoots in all directions, no one is spared.

Last edited by begratto; 05-02-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Hopefully we are mature enough as a society to be able to "take" this.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 AM

And to the anonymous person who sent me a reputation comment calling me an American troll...

Très drôle.

Awingna han!

Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM

518 posts, read 398,310 times
Quote:
If you are going to allow "the others" into the tent, you have to allow them to have their own opinions and influence things. Keeping them out because they'll *contaminate* you is exactly the old Duplessis era mindset, and which is what let to 90%+ of immigrants assimilating to the anglophone community prior to Bill 101 being adopted.

Anyway, I am not even sure that Sugar Sammy actually thinks what he says in his act. I've heard him say before that Bill 101 was a good thing, because without it he never would have learned French.
this isn't a compliment towards Bill 101 - this is shade! He basically said he would have not cared about French if he had not been forced to do so. He admitted to having the typical Anglo-American attitude of "Wherever I go, I get served in English and even if I immigrate to other countries, I will always and forever stick to English, isolate myself in an Anglo-community and never learn the language of the local majority unless I'm forced by law to do so."

Your American boyscout wisdom should consider that when you invite people to your tent, that they have to bring fruit and vegetables, otherwise they can construct their own tents.

Nobody ever banned him from attending francophone CEGEP or UdM or UQAM.
Yeah we allowed him to choose from...and guess what he took. McGill and and Anglo college.
That's why Allophones should have no choice.

Acajacky, we are still waiting for you to tell us how your conversations with Charles Castonguay have been!

Quote:
I've seen him a few of his shows and I don't think I have ever laughed so much. He shoots in all directions, no one is spared.
I knew he is very manly, but I had no idea that his virility is so strong.

Quote:
And to the anonymous person who sent me a reputation comment...

Awingna han!
Maybe that was Sugar Sammy? Or your wife? who wants to send you a signal that you and your kids should spent less time online? or Bostonkid? or Fusion?

One thing is for sure: that was a person with taste because I also got a reputation remark with the comment vive le Québec libre - Sophisticated greetings back to this (anonymous) intellectual, cheerful and cool person. It's a highly appreciated comment and my fight for justice and le rêve québécois will continue.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
this isn't a compliment towards Bill 101 - this is shade! He basically said he would have not cared about French if he had not been forced to do so. He admitted to having the typical Anglo-American attitude of "Wherever I go, I get served in English and even if I immigrate to other countries, I will always and forever stick to English, isolate myself in an Anglo-community and never learn the language of the local majority unless I'm forced by law to do so."

What he said. Starting at the 10:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6PvYxi_oww

Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:

Your American boyscout wisdom should consider that when you invite people to your tent, that they have to bring fruit and vegetables, otherwise they can construct their own tents.

Nobody ever banned him from attending francophone CEGEP or UdM or UQAM.
Yeah we allowed him to choose from...and guess what he took. McGill and and Anglo college.
That's why Allophones should have no choice.

Acajacky, we are still waiting for you to tell us how your conversations with Charles Castonguay have been!

I knew he is very manly, but I had no idea that his virility is so strong.

Maybe that was Sugar Sammy? Or your wife? who wants to send you a signal that you and your kids should spent less time online? or Bostonkid? or Fusion?

One thing is for sure: that was a person with taste because I also got a reputation remark with the comment vive le Québec libre - Sophisticated greetings back to this (anonymous) intellectual, cheerful and cool person. It's a highly appreciated comment and my fight for justice and le rêve québécois will continue.
You really need to lighten up. Sugar Sammy is a comedian, for heaven's sake. It's an entertainer's role to lampoon and poke fun at institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal