Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 AM

631 posts, read 562,394 times

Advertisements

The singer-songwriter, Zachary Richard, is from Scott, Louisiana, near Lafayette. He used to live in Montreal, where he had quite a following. He said sometimes Montrealers would ask him if he were Czech (he speaks Cajun French). Here's a video of Glen Trahan of Lafourche Parish (I think) speaking French:

https://youtu.be/rPs_KSdRcnY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:58 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Being a lover of demolinguistics I don't judge harshly when it comes to such things, but to most people in Quebec that type of French sounds archaic and unpolished. (Ironically, some people in France say that about Quebec French, though the French here is much much closer to standard French than that spoken in the video.)

Though your average person in Quebec can likely understand a lot of it. Comprehension likely decreases the younger a Québécois person is though.

What's interesting is how similar that sounds to some varieties of Acadian French in Nova Scotia. I would not go so far as saying it's identical but definitely there are some common intonations and archaisms.

I'd also mention that I've heard Zachary Richard interviewed many times, and he speaks French somewhat differently. He definitely has a Louisiana accent (but less pronounced) and at least when in Quebec or France, does not really use colloquialisms from Louisiana. If Zac is watching a Saints game with a few beers in the company of his Cajun buddies in bayou country he might sound a bit different.

Regarding Québécois reactions to this, it's instructive to recall the stir that an interview with Jack Kerouac caused here many decades ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2aOSoRsoE

In that era, some people had heard of him for sure but most had never heard him speak French. People were shocked that the lionized guru of America's Beat Generation spoke French like a lumberjack who'd never been out of the woods!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Demolinguistics are super interesting. We may one day all be speaking some form or derivative of contemporary English centuries from now, but until then... (if we make it).

An old girlfriend of Jack Kerouac wrote about Kerouac being "haunted" by his French-Canadian background. She wrote that he was "precariously balanced between conflicting selves, between two cultures and two different languages, between ambition and self-immolation." I mean, she became a university professor and academicians tend to dramatize things about culture and identity, but it is still an interesting observation, even if not entirely accurate or at all accurate.

There are still a few people, mostly old-timers and a handful of younger types, who speak Kerouac-like French in places like Berlin, NH; Biddeford, ME; and Lewiston, ME. Really, it's the only French spoken on those places.

Quebeckers have been smart about modernizing their French.

Last edited by 2ner; 09-02-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 10:21 PM

In the late 60s when people were talking about restoring the rightful place of French in Québec, there was some debate about which variant it should be.

Some argued that joual (slang) was the true language of the people and should be promoted. This would have led to the language here being similar to Haitian Créole eventually.

In the end the proponents of standard French peppered with Québécois quirks won the day.

Joual is still very much alive but fades a bit more with each passing generation. Some terms are lost on my kids and their friends.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Interesting. For some reason I thought French was no longer spoken at all in Louisiana.

Are there any other parts of the US where French is still spoken?

Old 09-03-2018, 04:20 PM

It is actually not that easy to find French speakers in Louisiana these days. Very hit and miss.

Your chances are a lot better in NE states like Maine and New Hampshire.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:18 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,033 times
This is pretty funny (though it has nothing to do with Cajuns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiDF...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Some commentators claim Celine is tweaking her accent to sound more like “French French”, but I can’t tell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6ezHzWPDU

Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In the late 60s when people were talking about restoring the rightful place of French in Québec, there was some debate about which variant it should be.

Some argued that joual (slang) was the true language of the people and should be promoted. This would have led to the language here being similar to Haitian Créole eventually.

In the end the proponents of standard French peppered with Québécois quirks won the day.

Joual is still very much alive but fades a bit more with each passing generation. Some terms are lost on my kids and their friends.
This is the first part of a series about joual.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jtlXJdYvh4s
The Catholic Church figures prominently in this segment. I guess it’s being criticized for not properly educating the students.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Interesting. For some reason I thought French was no longer spoken at all in Louisiana.

Are there any other parts of the US where French is still spoken?
French as a 1st language is a vestige, but many Louisianans study it as a 2nd language, including some 4,500 young-uns in elementary and middle school immersion programs. New Orleans, the home to most immersion students, has some French-language high schools, following the French curriculum. Lafayette has the 2nd largest number of immersion students; Lake Charles the 3rd largest. Even some of the more remote, rural towns have it. Pierre Part in Assumption Parish has had immersion for years. Evangeline Parish got 2 new programs last year—Ville Platte Elementary and Mamou Elementary. New Orleans’ programs are very France-centric. Those in Acadiana or *Cajun Country* are more local Cajun- or Creole-centric.

Second-language speakers of French, particularly those from Acadiana, tend to use a hybrid of Standard and Cajun varieties of the language. A few younger Louisianan musicians / bands sing in French. Louis Michot, of the Lost Bayou Ramblers, is here speaking of and in Louisiana French (his forbears came to New Orleans during/after the slave revolts/revolution in Haiti):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5dPw4sYrE.

Another local band, Sweet Crude, has won some acclaim. Here’s one of their French-language tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeZF88iEhlA.

Last edited by 2ner; 09-04-2018 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal