Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:00 PM

166 posts, read 247,279 times

Advertisements

I have friends who want to buy a peice of property from me. They have pretty bad credit. With their credit being what it is they may (will) run into financing problems. If I were to hold the note for them, what would be a fair interest rate to charge? $80,000 for 30 years
I guess I'm asking what mortgages are going for with bad credit.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,028,481 times
you cant get a mortgage with bad credit today through traditional means. HArd money lenders deal with poor credit but they charge a lot of upfront fees and rates between 8 and12%.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
you cant get a mortgage with bad credit today through traditional means. HArd money lenders deal with poor credit but they charge a lot of upfront fees and rates between 8 and12%.
I'm thinking of 7%. I don't want to take advantage of them, but I can't see giving them the same rate that my good credit gets me. I worked hard for it. Originally they wanted to simply take over the payments on my mortgage.
From your answer it seems that 7% is a fair deal. Thank You.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM

6,892 posts, read 11,284,189 times
Smile Rates for the challenged

I agree with Victor.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,698,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
I'm thinking of 7%. I don't want to take advantage of them, but I can't see giving them the same rate that my good credit gets me. I worked hard for it. Originally they wanted to simply take over the payments on my mortgage.
From your answer it seems that 7% is a fair deal. Thank You.
I think for a stranger it would be higher but for friends 7% is fair. Not a professional opinion though....

Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,247,343 times
What is your plan B if they stop paying?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,874,869 times
If it's not your current primary residence, you can't owner finance without being a loan originator anymore. You're going to need to get a loan officer involved to handle the paperwork, with you still being the "bank". Rules changed last month...

Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 PM

Default Plan b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What is your plan B if they stop paying?
We've discussed this because I explained to them that I'm not 'buying'.I'm selling.
They want to build on the acreage and when their credit is good enough, refinance through conventional means.
They understand that any monies spent are non-refundable if they default.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If it's not your current primary residence, you can't owner finance without being a loan originator anymore. You're going to need to get a loan officer involved to handle the paperwork, with you still being the "bank". Rules changed last month...
Now this is an interesting point....maybe some background will be helpful.
I own 10.11 acres consisting of 4 seperate lots but comprising a single homestead. They want to buy the 3 lots that together make up 6 acres. We are treating it as a lease to own type thing.....they'll make payments directly to me and when they have it paid for (or find other financing) they get the deed.
So, I guess it is a part of my primary residence?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM

5,345 posts, read 14,178,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
We've discussed this because I explained to them that I'm not 'buying'.I'm selling.
They want to build on the acreage and when their credit is good enough, refinance through conventional means.
They understand that any monies spent are non-refundable if they default.
7% on bare land is as good or better deal than a bank would give someone with strong finances. I would say you should charge a more questionable buyer at least 10%.

I have never heard of not being able to owner finance without a mortgage guy in the middle. I would say on bare land you definitely don't need a mortgage person involved. You will want to use an attorney though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages