Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 03:09 AM

512 posts, read 1,184,158 times

Advertisements

I planning on buying a small house, about $20.000. Will any bank give me such a little mortgage? If no, what is the lowest price I could apply for a mortgage? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Depends, at least a little, on why the place is so cheap...

I have seen, in all honesty, folks spend more than $20k on a garage. If the house is in area of unstable market conditions, is in far worse condition than most people wouod find acceptable, is constructed in a way that makes it unsellable or dangerous then no lender will take that as collateral.

Now if there are other homes that similarly low priced, in good condition, sellable you might find a smaller local lender willing to make a loan on it. Do not expect as low a rate as on larger mortgage, and be prepared for the lender to want very detailed appraisal. The loan would not be sellable on the secondary market so the lender has to be extra cautious...

The most popular loans start at $100k, but you can find lenders that have no issues doing loans at half that amount.

Of course on smaller mortgages the lender may want to explore the various government backed loans from FHA, VA,USDA-- smaller down payment is just one plus.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
The lowest I've ever been able to get a lender to do is $50k, but the rate was significantly higher that the person could have had the same mortgage payment as a $75k property. You might have better luck getting a personal loan from a bank than a mortgage for $20k.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Thank you for the replies. I know it won't be a house of my dreams, it just has to be a temporary shelter when I feel like getting out of the big city once a while... I'll try with local lenders then but a personal loan would be a solution I guess.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,125,241 times
I have a coworker who wanted to do something like this. She had paid off her primary home so she was going to do a line of credit/home equity loan to get her second home. If not a personal loan should work.
Kudos to you to going against the grain, most of the time folks want to buy a home as much as they are allowed to borrow. We qualified for $175k, we bought $108k.
Good luck!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM

My credit history is very good (about 850 points) so I'd get a good loan I guess but I've no wish to get myself into puting all my money into an expensive house. Thanks for another advice.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Relax. Assuming the house is valued above the sales price, you should have no problem getting a short-term mortgage - 10, 12, 15 years. A year ago we got 4.5% on less than $40K for 15 years. And we weren't "forced" to go govt backed mortgage either - it was never discussed although my husband was eligible for a VA loan.

Go to a local bank - local to where the property is located - and not a large national bank. If your credit is good, it should not be a problem. You can also check with unitedcountry.com - there's a link on their website for mortgage info.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Thank you for the reply. BTW can you tell me how high your rates were on this loan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Assuming the house is valued above the sales price, you should have no problem getting a short-term mortgage - 10, 12, 15 years.
What is the best and quickest way to get the house vaule? I mean the value to be taxed. Let's say I am looking at a house at a real estate website and they are asking $25k, how do I know what amount will be taxed yearly / how do I know if the house is valued above or below the asking sales price?

And on what basis do local authorities estimate a house to tax the owner? Does this figure change when an owner changes?

I know these questions are not related to this topic but they came to my mind now.

Last edited by moskiter; 11-01-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,926 times
Have it appraised

Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Ditto ZenMaster. Also check out the land records. Many states have this information online. When you look up the property address on the tax roll, you can find out general condition (at time of assessment), approx tax value, amount of taxable value (then you get to multiply), and you can see the neighboring properties. Sometimes you also get to see the GIS map and some of them are in color. It gives you a great idea of the whole neighborhood from an aerial view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages