Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,277 times

Advertisements

Just as the title says... did they get rid of mortgage tax cuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Just as the title says... did they get rid of mortgage tax cuts?
No. It was talked about but is a surefire way to never be elected into office again.

Maybe one day when we stop relying on it as a motivating factor to buy into the "American Dream".

Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,315 times
No they didn't, hopefully they will revisit it soon and phase it out.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 PM

301 posts, read 571,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
No they didn't, hopefully they will revisit it soon and phase it out.
Why would you say that?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
They won't "eliminate" them, they'll erode them.

First, because there's a crisis, they'll have cover to reduce or eliminate the deduction for second homes and boats. Then, they'll start lowering ceilings on how much homes can be worth to qualify or and how much you can deduct, then little by little, they'll chip away at it till it doesn't exist anymore.

I give it 15 years till it's gone entirely. Betting they start the process this or next year.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
Why would you say that?
I posted the same response in another thread.

I fundamentally disagree with the interest deduction. It incentivizes people to keep debt and not pay off their home. It disproportionately favors homeowners over renters. It's also another factor pushing up and inflating home prices, while median wages have not increased over the last decade. It's better for people to pay lower prices for homes and pay less interest, than get a small return from the government on interest payed.

My main problem with the HMID though is that I don't think the government needs to incentivize or encourage home ownership. Renting is a perfectly viable option for many people. But that goes for everything in the tax code, I don't think the government should use taxes as a means to encourage or discourage certain economic sectors, behaviors, etc" But if I were to propose eliminating the HMID over time, it should include a comparable drop in overall taxes.

I would like to see it phased out over time, so as not to punish those that used it to compute how much house they could afford.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Msdmoney - BIG points to you. Great post.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times
I don't think most people understand the rationale behind mortgage interest expence income deduction. Contrarty to common belief, the government didn't introduce this to encourage home ownership.

It's deducted for the same reason corporates deduct all interest expense from taxable income. The same rule applied to all individuals before the great depression. But the government has started to phase out various interest deductabilities since then.

I won't be surprised if the government phases out mortgage interest as well. But politically it will be suicide. However, a big shock (such as double dip recession) may trigger the phase out.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
I posted the same response in another thread.

I fundamentally disagree with the interest deduction. It incentivizes people to keep debt and not pay off their home. It disproportionately favors homeowners over renters. It's also another factor pushing up and inflating home prices, while median wages have not increased over the last decade. It's better for people to pay lower prices for homes and pay less interest, than get a small return from the government on interest payed.

My main problem with the HMID though is that I don't think the government needs to incentivize or encourage home ownership. Renting is a perfectly viable option for many people. But that goes for everything in the tax code, I don't think the government should use taxes as a means to encourage or discourage certain economic sectors, behaviors, etc" But if I were to propose eliminating the HMID over time, it should include a comparable drop in overall taxes.

I would like to see it phased out over time, so as not to punish those that used it to compute how much house they could afford.
I'm conflicted. In general, I am against the tax code favoring certain behaviors over others. I would love it if they did a complete rewrite and eliminated most of these deductions and moved toward a flat tax model.

On the other hand, while the affordability is not really an issue, I have bought my house under a certain set of conditions and rules that were in effect, one of them was the mortgage deduction. Most of the rest have been shot to heck by the market, but if they do the typical political shenanigans and just stop the mortgage deduction without addressing the actual problems with the tax code, it will affect me adversely and cause me to pay more tax while further hurting the housing market, I will be pretty mad.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
I don't think most people understand the rationale behind mortgage interest expence income deduction. Contrarty to common belief, the government didn't introduce this to encourage home ownership.

It's deducted for the same reason corporates deduct all interest expense from taxable income. The same rule applied to all individuals before the great depression. But the government has started to phase out various interest deductabilities since then.

I won't be surprised if the government phases out mortgage interest as well. But politically it will be suicide. However, a big shock (such as double dip recession) may trigger the phase out.
It certainly didn't start to encourage homeownership, it was just the only interest deduction left when all of the others were eliminated. But over the years, politically, it's intent has changed. Now it's thrown around as the government helping the average borrower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages