Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 06:46 PM

42 posts, read 171,756 times

Advertisements

Just something someone mentioned and i had never thought about. i own the 2 acre lot and it was gifted to me by my mother so there was no transfer tax there. i am building a house currently on the lot, its about halfway done and i am wondering will i need to pay transfer taxes at any point on it? My wife and i are first time home buyers and i live in Delaware, i cant seem to find a direct answer to my situation anywhere. My builder does not require a construction loan so we are doing a refinance through the bank when the house is complete. What could i potentially owe in taxes for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny View Post
Just something someone mentioned and i had never thought about. i own the 2 acre lot and it was gifted to me by my mother so there was no transfer tax there. i am building a house currently on the lot, its about halfway done and i am wondering will i need to pay transfer taxes at any point on it? My wife and i are first time home buyers and i live in Delaware, i cant seem to find a direct answer to my situation anywhere. My builder does not require a construction loan so we are doing a refinance through the bank when the house is complete. What could i potentially owe in taxes for this?
I doubt it. There is no transfer of ownership, just an improvement being built by the same owner.

However, since I am in NJ and not Deleware, I would still recommend calling whomever assesses those transfer taxes (state? municipality?) and just ask them directly.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 AM

42 posts, read 171,756 times
thanks! thats what i was thinking. it was just something i hadnt thought of. the land was gifted mother to son and wife, so we wont have transfer taxes on that, and we are first time home buyer but delaware doesnt offer any incentives for that in kent county. i will ask them tuesday i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages