Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM

244 posts, read 634,183 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

In the process of applying for a Mortgage right now, Figured I would ask some questions. Obviously understanding no one here knows how things will go, just general advice or answers would be appreciated.

Me and the wife are buying a home, but due to the wife having no credit at all, only I am applying for the mortgage. We are putting about 31% Down, some of which is due to a gift. We Gross 1/3 of the homes cost every year, but if you only count me I gross about 1/5 of the homes cost every year.

So we are putting down a large down payment, make more than enough to pay the mortgage off, Have ZERO debt, BUT heres the but, my credit is only middling. Not terrible but not great either.

How much should we be worried?

We were given 4.1% as the rate, but were told we could purchase points to bring it down to 3.875% but at the cost of around $2750. Seeing as how the 4.1% rate is only $30 more per month and we would like to have some money to improve somethings with we are going for the slightly higher rate. Going lower does save us a net $9k or so long term, but we feel we can use that $3k better now.

So I guess the question is, if you had to guess what is our prognosis? Did we make the right call with the points? Was it right to apply with just me?

Any general thoughts? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Compare it to ....

look into going FHA - talk to a broker in your area and have them compare for you - you may also look at a 15 year FHA where your rate would be so much lower.

FHA rates are better than conventional.

Is your score 620-659?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Talk to some lenders in your area. Honestly, I would be surprised if you could qualify based on your income alone if it's only 1/5 of the house's cost. I qualified on one income for the house I am currently buying but it's only about 2.5 times my annual income, not 5 times!

If you want your wife's income to count, which it may need to in order for you to qualify, I would think that would also mean that she needs to be on the application. But again, check with lenders in your area.

Also, if a big chunk of your down payment is coming from a gift, the person who gave you the gift will have to be able to verify funds. Again, any lender you choose will have info for you on this.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Talk to some lenders in your area. Honestly, I would be surprised if you could qualify based on your income alone if it's only 1/5 of the house's cost. I qualified on one income for the house I am currently buying but it's only about 2.5 times my annual income, not 5 times!

If you want your wife's income to count, which it may need to in order for you to qualify, I would think that would also mean that she needs to be on the application. But again, check with lenders in your area.

Also, if a big chunk of your down payment is coming from a gift, the person who gave you the gift will have to be able to verify funds. Again, any lender you choose will have info for you on this.
I think you missed a couple of the OP's ponits. One the 1/5th is of the home's price (not loan amount) and he is putting 31% down. Second, he mentions that he has no other debt. This makes it likely that he would qualify for it on his own income.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
Hi everyone,

In the process of applying for a Mortgage right now, Figured I would ask some questions. Obviously understanding no one here knows how things will go, just general advice or answers would be appreciated.

Me and the wife are buying a home, but due to the wife having no credit at all, only I am applying for the mortgage. We are putting about 31% Down, some of which is due to a gift. We Gross 1/3 of the homes cost every year, but if you only count me I gross about 1/5 of the homes cost every year.

So we are putting down a large down payment, make more than enough to pay the mortgage off, Have ZERO debt, BUT heres the but, my credit is only middling. Not terrible but not great either.

How much should we be worried?

We were given 4.1% as the rate, but were told we could purchase points to bring it down to 3.875% but at the cost of around $2750. Seeing as how the 4.1% rate is only $30 more per month and we would like to have some money to improve somethings with we are going for the slightly higher rate. Going lower does save us a net $9k or so long term, but we feel we can use that $3k better now.

So I guess the question is, if you had to guess what is our prognosis? Did we make the right call with the points? Was it right to apply with just me?

Any general thoughts? Thanks all.
Yes, just you is the ticket. I would get your wife some credit going though after the purchase is closed. As far as buying it down, that would depend on how long you think you will be in this house/loan. Ask you loan officer to figure out a break even for you.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM

Yea he broke it down for us. Basically it came out to pay $1500 now to save like 7 grand over 30 years or pay $3000 to save $12000 over 30 years. Neither seemed like huge savings, we thought we could use the money better now or even invest the $3k now and get a better return on it later.

If it helps I make close to $60K, The House is $322, but the loan is for $222, so I make about 1/4 of the LOAN price every year.

Our gift giver is ready to verify funds, thats not a problem.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
You should have no problems. 100% gift is fine, but you will need to show reserves, most likely 2 months somewhere that is liquid. Be prepared to obtain current statments on your 401ks.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM

No 401ks yet sadly (Some IRAs), but will have about 9-11 months liquid at minimum after closing.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 PM

14 posts, read 50,829 times
you should fight for 4% but don't pay point to lower further. You need about 8 years to break even for the points you pay. You can save that ~$2800 and use it for refi for 15years afterward.

I have the same situation as you, $300k, and paid 1/3 down, and I refi after only 2 years. From 4.375% 30yrs to 3.25% 15 years.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 PM

You can fight for a lower rate without paying for points? I thought the numbers were the numbers, I didn't realize you could negotiate. He made it seem like the numbers were the numbers and based on my credit score thats what we could do.

Is 4.125% terrible right now?

How early can we refi? Does it cost to refi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages