Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM

56 posts, read 221,206 times

Advertisements

I want to get my free credit report at one of the "free credit report" website, before I actually apply for a loan. Are these websites for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renter1 View Post
I want to get my free credit report at one of the "free credit report" website, before I actually apply for a loan. Are these websites for real?
This is the official website for your free annual credit report:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

(The credit reports are free, but you still have to pay a fee to get your FICO scores.)

Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renter1 View Post
Getting the free report is a good way to check for erroneous information, but not for scores (I believe they use some altenative scoring model). Having a mortgage lender pull your credit is where you will get pertinent scoring.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

69 posts, read 294,662 times
AnnualCreditReport.com for yearly 3 REPORTS only

www.MyFICO.com for Official FICO scores (Only EQ + TU)

Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Default Keepin Current

A good way to stay on top of what's in your reports, is to get one free report every four months, i.e. Equifax in June, Transunion in October and Experian in February.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
This is the official website for your free annual credit report:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

(The credit reports are free, but you still have to pay a fee to get your FICO scores.)
There are a host of "free" credit report sites out there but, except for this one, I believe you have to enroll in some kind of program -- often credit monitoring -- for a monthly fee. Typically, you have a free trial period before you actually have to pay anything, so you DO get the credit report for free. Just be sure to cancel within the specified time.

And, yes, the FICO score is separate and I've yet to find a place that lets you get one for free .....

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
There are a host of "free" credit report sites out there but, except for this one, I believe you have to enroll in some kind of program -- often credit monitoring -- for a monthly fee. Typically, you have a free trial period before you actually have to pay anything, so you DO get the credit report for free. Just be sure to cancel within the specified time.

And, yes, the FICO score is separate and I've yet to find a place that lets you get one for free .....
You're right, annualcreditreport.com is the only one without strings attached. And there is no FREE FICO score without strings attached - bummer

Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
I "third" the above. I want also warn people that there are many "Annual Credit Report" kind of sites that prey on those who are unsuspected. Do NOT just Google. Use the right WWW address and make sure it is the free site..

Old 06-13-2009, 02:00 PM

392 posts, read 1,539,518 times
I "forth" it. I think those commericials are scams.

annualcreditreport.com allows you to see what information that 3 agencies have on you so you can detect any errors. It does not give you scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages