Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you need to dispute again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM

61 posts, read 151,373 times
I love your quote

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.--Mark Twain

So relax and enjoy yourself! -- Debsi

This is what is holding me back from attempting to dispute this charge again. I went through the whole dispute process years ago to have a charge off removed. I have a VERY common name and routinely have strange things show up on my credit report. I've been over the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Debt Collections Practices Act with a fine tooth comb. You can dispute, but basically there is someone looking at a computer screen that says "Yeah, she owes it" and that's the end of the dispute process. There is no incentive to dig deeper. Once that box has been checked, it's over. I could take it to court, but that can be very expense. You can report to the FTC, but they don't pursue individual cases, only use them to show a pattern of abuse by the creditor/collection agency.

I decided years ago to pay cash as the anger and frustration level is not worth it. I would only be getting a mortgage as rates are very low and I can earn more on my money that what I would pay on a mortgage.

And, on principal (I know, kinda of biting off my nose...) I won't pay a debt that isn't mine. I was backed into a corner before and had to pay $600 and it still annoys me years later.

So, would I be able to get someone to do manual underwriting and waive the requirement to pay this charge off?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lls1662 View Post
I love your quote

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.--Mark Twain

So relax and enjoy yourself! -- Debsi

This is what is holding me back from attempting to dispute this charge again. I went through the whole dispute process years ago to have a charge off removed. I have a VERY common name and routinely have strange things show up on my credit report. I've been over the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Debt Collections Practices Act with a fine tooth comb. You can dispute, but basically there is someone looking at a computer screen that says "Yeah, she owes it" and that's the end of the dispute process. There is no incentive to dig deeper. Once that box has been checked, it's over. I could take it to court, but that can be very expense. You can report to the FTC, but they don't pursue individual cases, only use them to show a pattern of abuse by the creditor/collection agency.

I decided years ago to pay cash as the anger and frustration level is not worth it. I would only be getting a mortgage as rates are very low and I can earn more on my money that what I would pay on a mortgage.

And, on principal (I know, kinda of biting off my nose...) I won't pay a debt that isn't mine. I was backed into a corner before and had to pay $600 and it still annoys me years later.

So, would I be able to get someone to do manual underwriting and waive the requirement to pay this charge off?
Thanks!

Did you dispute through the credit bureau websites or directly with the CC company?

I have been the person looking at the computer screen before, but not for a CC company. I know that in general CC companies seem to be known for icky debt collection practices. I would have corrected it if I saw you in "our" system as an authorized user. You have to be very specific about which part of something you are disputing. I'd suggest checking the "not my debt" box and if the notes area stating something like "Not the creditor for this account. Was authorized user only."

There is some info here that may help:
Authorized User Dispute | Citibank N A Billing/Payment | PlanetFeedback

As for your manual underwriting question, the answer is maybe..

Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM

I just read the OP again. I wrote the above assuming that you'd already heard from a lender that you'd have to pay that charge off. DU (Fannie Mae automated underwriting) will sometimes make you pay collections off, but the guide says you only have to pay a charge-off if it threatens Fannie's first lien position.

I still think you should dispute it though.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I just read the OP again. I wrote the above assuming that you'd already heard from a lender that you'd have to pay that charge off. DU (Fannie Mae automated underwriting) will sometimes make you pay collections off, but the guide says you only have to pay a charge-off if it threatens Fannie's first lien position.

I still think you should dispute it though.
Any open disputes will automatically DQ you through Fannie Mae or Freddie, this I know for certain...I had to go back and get Citibank to close one over 3 years old, it still showed as open in the credit report..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 AM

33 posts, read 188,459 times
How soon do you want to buy a house? You do not want a dispute showing on your credit report while going through the process? When you pulled your credit - what was your credit score? Was it okay or was this drastically lowering it. They won't make you pay off a charge off - cause its well... written off so to speak.

To do something with an old account on your credit report only makes the status more current and hurts your credit more UNLESS you are asked to do so by underwriting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages