Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,203 times

Advertisements

Ive owned a home in SoCal where i lived for nearly 4 years. Recently i got a new job in Kentucky (temporary possibly permanent). I have been in Ky for 9 months living with a Friend so i pay no rent. All of the utilities at the home in CA are still in my name, and i would really like to take advantage of the current low interest rates and refi my CA home. I owe less than the value and the home and its at 5.5% on an FHA <$130,000 remaining. Is it possible for me to refi the home where i am currently working in KY? Would this be considered a second/investment property to a mortgage co at this point? And what ramifications would there if this is true?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM

115 posts, read 369,003 times
Are you renting it out? Or just keeping up on bills and its still considered your primary residence

Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 PM

Not renting just keeping as is until further notice. But I'm not sure if it counts as my primary res (technically that is) based on some IRS criteria. Im somewhat vague on this part aswell.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 8,006 times
It may depend on where you are currently considered a resident.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM

Ya im not technicaly sure on where im considered a resident either. I still have a CA drivers licence. but i think that Primary residency is based soley on where you spend the majority of you living time. So if no one knows how would i be able to find out?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,326,677 times
They will look at your job and likely decline the CA property as a Primary Residence due to lack of feasibility of a reasonable commute, nor are you likely spending 51% of your time at the CA property. So, it's a Second Home. An appraiser will come and appraise it, who will be allowed entrance by your buddy who just swung by to wait for the appraiser to allow interior access.

Rates are neck and neck for primaries and second homes with your equity position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages