Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM

66 posts, read 238,146 times

Advertisements

So we have to be manually approved by the underwriter for our FHA loan. We have provided everything they've asked for. What is the normal time frame for this? Are we talking a couple of days or a week?

Thanks!

Hoping we get the thumbs up and get moving to our new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 AM

835 posts, read 3,977,977 times
Depends on the lender and processing center for that lender. Ask your loan officer when you should have an answer. Actually a little suprised they didn't tell your this up front. I always let my clients know that I have your documents and will have your loan submitted to underwriting on X day and with the lenders current turn times we should have your approval on Y day.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Much depends on the specific LENDER, but I sincerely doubt that even the most efficient lender that is forced to use manual underwriting will be able to fund a loan in 'days'. Plan on a few weeks, and for goodness sakes be EXTRA aware of ANYTHING that they ask for MUST be sent ASAP. If that physical file sets on the desk of an overworked underwriter and you don't fax em back something that they need it could basically be put at the bottom of their list indefinitely...

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM

I think I was a little vague on last post. What I meant was submit on Tuesday and turn times are running 5 business days so conditional approval will be back next Tuesday. I took the OP to be asking how long from submission to condiional approval.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
You guys still have lenders that will do a manual underwrite?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Closed a refer/ eligible FHA last month with a manual underwrite. Did not DTI without 2nd job that she had for 16 months- was able to use the income.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I got the feeling that the OP had their app turned over to 'manual underwriting'. This happens when the software generates an "Out of Scope" recommendation. For first time buyers the most frequent cause of this is simply a credit report that is too thin. FHA standards can still be met with manual underwriting, but different documentation standards are needed.

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/guides/ssg/ (broken link)

Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 AM

204 posts, read 875,667 times
My USDA loan had to be manually underwritten. Time frames vary I'm sure but mine was actually done in about 48 hours with no problems. I believe my lender handled everything in house so I'm sure that expedited things but maybe it won't take too long.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Was told we will find out tomorrow (monday, Oct 26th).
I'll post on here to let you know if we are approved. That is ... after I pop some champagne and call every friend and family member. ha ha!

Thanks for all the answers.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 PM

Well, in case anyone reads this needs help or hope in the future... we are finally getting close now. It is a lot later. We had to change lenders, change loan officers... and now ... instantly, everything is flying along. We should have final loan commitment letter in a matter of days. They've asked for some odd things. Need to supply 'proof of our intent to move from SoCal to Florida'... Like moving company quotes! I thought that was a funny condition.
But basically, all the conditions are nothing to worry about and really really basic items.

So looking good...... it has been an incredibly long and emotional journey for a first time home buyer. But there ya go. We have been tenacious and did not give up. If you're self employed be prepared to supply a LOT of documentation. The sins of the past are weighing upon us self employed folks and we gotta prove we can afford those payments and then some! But it is finally coming to a happy ending soon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages