Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 AM

24 posts, read 52,378 times

Advertisements

I live in the Tampa Bay area and am interested in buying an inexpensive home or townhouse for my son to rent from me. I currently have a small mortgage on the home I live in. How does a mortgage on an investment property work with regard to qualifying? Do they take into consideration income from renting it or just base it on income/debt ratio and credit score as in a conventional mortgage? Any other things different?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM

165 posts, read 357,697 times
The lenders will only allow you to use future income from an investment property if you can show a 2 years history of it on other properties.

Investment properties require a larger down payment, higher rate

Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 PM

24 posts, read 52,378 times
So first investment property would require me to qualify just on my income alone and not any future rent. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:18 PM

96 posts, read 152,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenL1958 View Post
So first investment property would require me to qualify just on my income alone and not any future rent. Thanks.
If you can show 2 years landlord experience, you can qualify with the future rents. It doesn't have to be recent experience.

If you're doing FHA, you can qualify with market rents.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,948,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenL1958 View Post
Ask around where you are buying. There are Freddie Mac lenders out there that will let you use rent to offset PITI. That said, you are in an infamous sand state (sand states got hit HARD in the meltdown and have tougher requirements). It's definitely worth a day of dialing around and asking the direct question: "do you allow the use of rental income to offset PITI on a 1st time investment loan?"

Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,809,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolofhardknocks View Post
If you can show 2 years landlord experience, you can qualify with the future rents. It doesn't have to be recent experience.

If you're doing FHA, you can qualify with market rents.
FHA for a non owner occupied property to be rented to a family member? Are you saying FHA is a option?

Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,948,848 times
The only way (well....okay other than an reo) someone is getting a new FHA investment loan is on a 2-4 unit with the note-signer living in one of the units.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:15 AM

988 posts, read 1,743,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
FHA for a non owner occupied property to be rented to a family member? Are you saying FHA is a option?
In that instance, no. You can't use FHA on a non-primary residence; it would only be possible if you were going to use it as your primary residence and your other home wasn't on an FHA loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages