Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM

12 posts, read 30,036 times

Advertisements

We have a contract on a house that needs a new roof. Seller has offered to lower the house's price by the price of the new roof, but we don't have the cash for a roof on hand at the moment. I've read here that one solution to this problem would be for money for the repairs to be put aside into an escrow account at closing, but our lender, Patriot Bank, says they don't do this anymore.

Is this a new trend in lending? Will I be able to find another bank willing to allow money at closing for a roof?

(Also, I understand that appraisal could be a problem, but I don't think the roof is so bad that it will not pass appraisal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:47 AM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
Can the money not go towards closing costs and you keep money you had towards that for the roof? Do you not have any cash on hand?

We are getting 2% back at closing but I suppose it won't actually be money back in our pocket just less cash we must bring to the table at closing.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
You have to understand it from the lender perspective. They have a financial investment in the property just as much as you do. They don't want to invest in a property that needs major repairs such as a roof because what is to say that you never bother repairing the roof. Generally, the roof would need to be repaired/replaced before you purchase the house.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:10 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah.H View Post
We have a contract on a house that needs a new roof. Seller has offered to lower the house's price by the price of the new roof, but we don't have the cash for a roof on hand at the moment. I've read here that one solution to this problem would be for money for the repairs to be put aside into an escrow account at closing, but our lender, Patriot Bank, says they don't do this anymore.

Is this a new trend in lending? Will I be able to find another bank willing to allow money at closing for a roof?

(Also, I understand that appraisal could be a problem, but I don't think the roof is so bad that it will not pass appraisal).
What kind of loan are you doing? What is the price, how much is your down payment?

You can switch to an FHA 203k loan OR a Conventional rehab loan. Or the seller can have the work done, raise the price by an agreed-upon amount, then at closing the contractor is paid from the seller's proceeds.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
This is not a "new" trend. This has been the trend for a few years. Banks do not like escrow hold-backs and neither do the title companies.

The seller needs to go ahead and replace the roof, with a company that allows payment at closing. That is very common. Roofing companies do that all the time.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM

12 posts, read 30,036 times
Thanks everyone. Right now it looks like they are going to replace the roof.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah.H View Post

Buy the house at original price but ask the seller for a credit back to cover repairs after closing. Just make sure it's written and agreed upon.

Or have seller repair it. This would be my choice.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Buy the house at original price but ask the seller for a credit back to cover repairs after closing. Just make sure it's written and agreed upon.

Or have seller repair it. This would be my choice.
Not allowed.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 AM

279 posts, read 544,529 times
When I bought my house, the seller did not have money to complete repairs and offered me cash from their proceeds from closing. We wrote a seperate contract and the seller gave me a certified check at closing - my mortgage company knew and did not say a word.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
When I bought my house, the seller did not have money to complete repairs and offered me cash from their proceeds from closing. We wrote a seperate contract and the seller gave me a certified check at closing - my mortgage company knew and did not say a word.
Was this cash back on the settlement statement? Guessing not as it was on a "separate" contract. Why wasn't it on the main contract (the purchase agreement)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages