Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times

Advertisements

For mortgage experts out there I have a question. I've always heard to get a loan you had to have been at your job at least 6 months. Is that correct? And does that mean that specific job? If I'm accepting a new job in another state, and want to buy a house instead of renting, do I have to wait at least 6 months? Or if I'd had continuous employment is that what they are looking for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:46 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
Most lenders require a full 30 days worth of paystubs. Some, under the auspices of Corporate Relocation, will allow for the first paystub only on FHA loans. As long as your income is calculated to be sufficient to carry the file, one month - by the time you close, which is typically the Contract Period - is sufficient.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,921 times
A change in career/job type and industry will be a flag to income.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
1 month? I've always been told lenders want to see 2 years of consistent employment in the same field. It can be at different companies, but 2 years... with the exception with if you went to school for a particular field. For example, if you just became a doctor and you have a letter of intent to work at a doctor's office, or if you went to school to become a lawyer or a teacher, and you just got a job in that field...

But if you went to school to be a lawyer and instead you're sacking groceries, you need 2 years as sacking groceries (or other grocery store job like stocker) to qualify to show consistent history on the job.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
1 month? I've always been told lenders want to see 2 years of consistent employment in the same field. It can be at different companies, but 2 years... with the exception with if you went to school for a particular field. For example, if you just became a doctor and you have a letter of intent to work at a doctor's office, or if you went to school to become a lawyer or a teacher, and you just got a job in that field...

But if you went to school to be a lawyer and instead you're sacking groceries, you need 2 years as sacking groceries (or other grocery store job like stocker) to qualify to show consistent history on the job.
The OPS isn't clear if they have been working for 2 years prior to the move/job offer.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times
Thanks for answers.
Yes, I've been working for over 4 years at same job (and have job history of over 25 years), and the change would be to a new job in same industry.
I wasn't sure if it meant at same job, or how that works. Sounds like if you have continuous employment, and take a job in same field it wouldn't be an issue?

Old 06-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Thanks for answers.
Yes, I've been working for over 4 years at same job (and have job history of over 25 years), and the change would be to a new job in same industry.
I wasn't sure if it meant at same job, or how that works. Sounds like if you have continuous employment, and take a job in same field it wouldn't be an issue?
It sounds like you'll be fine, but having an HR department willing to back you up, goes a long way.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:20 PM

353 posts, read 427,375 times
Unless anyone here claims to be an underwriter I wouldn't take anything for gospel. Call up a lender (or lenders) in the City you are considering moving to and talk to them.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:24 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Thanks for answers.

As long as your income is designated to be guaranteed Full - Time, minimum 40 (or some number that works) workweek, you can be one day into a new career. If it were part time work, self employment, or work that pays overtime that you need to qualify, very different story.

New job, same line of work, sufficient workload/salary designation to carry the loan, you need the first month of paystubs prior to close.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,404,085 times
I am trying to get a mortgage. I have been in my industry since 1996. I started my own company doing the same job for the same company for the last 3.5 years. I am being told it will take me two years to get a mortgage. The stories that banks would take into account 7 years ago are not listened to these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages