Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times

Advertisements

Property A is for sale, paid for. The owner wants to purchase a new home B and the owner of B has already closed on home C and is ready to move.

What are some ways for the owner of A to commit to buying B without getting a mortgage or bridge loan? The proceeds from A will be used to pay for B, but A could find some cash for a hefty deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:52 PM

404 posts, read 897,700 times
"A" could make an offer to purchase an Option to Purchase from "B"

Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Seems like a basic transaction, I don't get what the complication is. Does B only want cash and won't approve a buyer using a mortgage?

Are you working with a real estate agent or are you trying to DIY?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:41 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
I may interpret this wrong but sounds like a person is interested in buy a home from a seller that wants to close quickly since they have a new place already. This buyer wants to put and offer but don't want contingency of selling their paid for current home. Without a bridge loan, not sure how you can do a purchase without a new mortgage or contingency.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:29 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Can't A pay off a mortgage or bridge loan once Property A is sold? I know people who have done that when they had 100% equity in their property and knew they'd net enough to pay for the 2nd property in full but they didn't want wait to buy Property B and risk losing it.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Can't A pay off a mortgage or bridge loan once Property A is sold? I know people who have done that when they had 100% equity in their property and knew they'd net enough to pay for the 2nd property in full but they didn't want wait to buy Property B and risk losing it.
Yes one can pay off mortgage or bridge loan once house A is sold but it cost money to get a bridge loan or mortgage. I think this is why OP is looking ways around it.

Not sure how much house A is valued and how much house B cost but would a large CL cover it? If so, you should have gotten a large CL months ago.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 PM

What is a CL?

Thanks gv28, and you've got the right idea sj.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
What is a CL?

Thanks gv28, and you've got the right idea sj.

When I put CL, I mean to say line of credit on paid off home. That's the first thing I do with my rental property that is 100% paid off. Get about a 50-60 percent line of credit on it and tap whenever I need cash to buy another property.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:15 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv28 View Post
"A" could make an offer to purchase an Option to Purchase from "B"
I was going to say "Option to Purchase", too. I've paid for Options to secure properties while giving me enough time to line up the cash to make the purchase. I've structured the deals so that the payment for the Option is applied to the purchase price in the event the Option is exercised. Of course, if you don't buy in the time allotted, you lose whatever you paid for the Option. (I've usually paid $10K for 3 to 6 month Options--enough to entice them into the deal, but not so much for me to incur undue risk. Before paying for an Option, I've always been certain that I would be able to close; and in some cases I had the right to extend the Option for another 6 months upon making another nonrefundable payment, still credited towards the purchase price.)

Another avenue might be to simply buy it on Land Contract (aka Contract for Deed, or whatever it might be called in your state). As long as the Sellers are willing, you can make it so payments are deferred (as opposed to monthly); you can write your own terms; you can call for a balloon payment once your house sells--and/or within a certain time frame, etc. If they don't need the cash and would like to entertain longer-term owner financing, they may even be willing to carry the contract through the entire amortization period.

Another alternative--though less likely with a knowledgeable Seller--would be to buy the property with the Sellers taking back a mortgage. The terms could be negotiated just like in a Land Contract.

For all of these alternatives, you really need to be sure that you will be able to fulfill the terms of the agreements--otherwise you'll be out some money and you'll just be causing headaches for all involved. It is also important to do all of the due diligence that you would in a normal purchase--especially checking the title. Too many owner-financed deals go sour because one side or the other didn't know what they were doing. Consulting with an experienced real estate attorney is always a good idea if you pursue any of these alternatives.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 PM

Hooray jackmichigan! Those are very excellent ideas and thank you for expressing them. And sj, your idea makes great sense too, although it would carry some loss with it (interest payments) so it might not be a first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages