Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,053 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time home buyer, who recently found a property to purchase, I was pre-qual for $230,000, I'm purchasing a townhouse for $214,000, with 10% down, so I'm asking for ~$194,000. Middle FICO Score is around 780.

I've worked for the same company for over 3 years (first job out of college), and make $58,700 a year, not including OT or bonus. The company is in financial services, if that has any impact

My only debt is my student loans, which I owe roughly $9,000 on, with a monthly payment of $275, which is paidup through Nov 2016, meaning I don't have to make payments until then.

I only have 1 credit card, which gets paid off in full each month, with a high limit on it, but the highest I get on the card in a month is around $300. I've had this card for about 8 years, and have not applied/closed an account in a while. I think the highest utilization I've ever had on this card was 5%. I did have a car loan last year, which I paid off.

After my downpayment I will have ~$25,000 in stocks, and a little more in T-bills, which have PV of ~$7,500. I also am expecting a bonus check, and tax refund (not sure the amounts), in a month. I also have about $4,000 in a 401k. Taxes are $4,700, HOA fees are $226/mon. which is the pre-qual amount basis.

I'm just a little anxious about this process, since I've never been through it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 12:39 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
You're fine! Most states have a housing authority that has excellent home buyer information, but even better, walk you through step by step calculations and work sheets. What state are you in? If your state isn't as informative, there's nothing saying you can't visit another site.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You're fine! Most states have a housing authority that has excellent home buyer information, but even better, walk you through step by step calculations and work sheets. What state are you in? If your state isn't as informative, there's nothing saying you can't visit another site.
Thanks for the reply, SmartMoney, and I'll look into my housing authority site (I live in NJ).

Appreciate the help!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:17 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I snooped around NJ and wasn't real successful it appears all to be Section 8 with a waiting list. Much of the info is the same, so check out Virginia's. We go up to a 120K year income and a 450K sales price. They have an online home buyer class (free to all), budget worksheets and excellent info on looking for a home. www.vhda.co .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages