Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,143 times

Advertisements

6 month behind in Northern Indiana due to instructions not to make payments while trying to get a modification to go through. Today they called wanting 3 months of payments that are higher then the payments we got behind on (due to job losses, decreased income) in order to grant the re modification of our Mortgage. If we turn this down and let it go to foreclosure, will they garnish our wages? Can they take our cars, belongings, etc? What will happen to us? Our credit is already completely ruined now, so that is not a concern at this point! What about deed in lieu of foreclosure....do you have to do a short sale, in order to do that? Then will we still be liable for any deficiencies? Please advise.
Desparate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
i wish i could answer that.i can tell you i'm in the car business and check credit 10 to 15 times a day and have been doing that for 11 yrs.i ve never seen anybody's wages garnished after a foreclosure.i think collateral loans are a lot different from personal or credit cards.i've seen a lot of repo's on customer's credit which the bank can do nothing about.they loaned the money here is what you loaned it on and it 's over.i could be wrong but i've never seen garnishment on homes or cars.these day's there's thousands of foreclosures and i haven't heard anything like that so i think you are safe.
-"I've never seen garnishment on homes or cars"--

homes------I haven't either
cars----quite common

The loan company re-possesses your car, sells it a car auction, and goes after you if the proceeds don't cover the loan.

It then goes to a bill collector who will go after any wages or property in that person's name.

It happened to a friend's wife who bought a 1 year old car.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslautrs View Post
6 month behind in Northern Indiana due to instructions not to make payments while trying to get a modification to go through. Today they called wanting 3 months of payments that are higher then the payments we got behind on (due to job losses, decreased income) in order to grant the re modification of our Mortgage. If we turn this down and let it go to foreclosure, will they garnish our wages? Can they take our cars, belongings, etc? What will happen to us? Our credit is already completely ruined now, so that is not a concern at this point! What about deed in lieu of foreclosure....do you have to do a short sale, in order to do that? Then will we still be liable for any deficiencies? Please advise.
Desparate.
go the route of short sale

Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 PM

38 posts, read 112,297 times
So is the home was sold for more that I owed, am I okay? besides the years that foreclosure will stay in my credit?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages