Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 220,495 times

Advertisements

I currently own a 2-Family Home (Duplex) that was purchased several years ago utilizing an FHA backed loan. I reside in one unit and rent the other unit (I have a lease and I claim the rent on my tax return). If I wanted to apply for a loan to purchase a 1 family residential property to reside in, would the bank consider the rent value of my unit (the whole duplex) towards my debt/income ratio? If I rent the whole duplex, I can cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance + show a positive cash flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 02:13 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Short answer: yes.

But different lenders interpret guidelines in different ways, and many lenders have Underwriting Overlays that, well, are laid over FNMA guidelines.

I would use the rental income as illustrated on your schedule E, and then use the executed Lease from the unit in which you now reside. Tough thing is, you are going to have to have an executed lease, deposit, and first month's rent at the very least, you can't say you plan to rent it out after you move out when you buy the new place.

Pick this up at page 379: https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/sel072815.pdf

Let us know what type of financing you will likely use to buy the new place: Conventional, FHA again, USDA, VA?

Also, consider a refinance of the duplex before you move out, maybe you can get rid of the mortgage insurance?

Last edited by Pfhtex; 11-14-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Short answer: yes.

But different lenders interpret guidelines in different ways, and many lenders have Underwriting Overlays that, well, are laid over FNMA guidelines.

I would use the rental income as illustrated on your schedule E, and then use the executed Lease from the unit in which you now reside. Tough thing is, you are going to have to have an executed lease, deposit, and first month's rent at the very least, you can't say you plan to rent it out after you move out when you buy the new place.

Pick this up at page 379: https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/sel072815.pdf

Let us know what type of financing you will likely use to buy the new place: Conventional, FHA again, USDA, VA?

Also, consider a refinance of the duplex before you move out, maybe you can get rid of the mortgage insurance?
I would use conventional financing. I currently have a 3.25 rate and have to pay MIP until the LTV is under 78% AND 5 years. The MIP is between 400 and 500 a month and it would be great if I could reduce it. But, with refinancing will I be able to reduce my monthy payment enouph to warrant paying closing costs again?

By having a signed lease and taking a deposit/first months rent for my unit would show poor judgement on my part if I have not yet received final underwriting loan approval for the new home. If I did not get approved, I could potentially be sued and asked to vacate my unit.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:04 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
We just did this, our loan officer ran the numbers and we ultimately qualified without the rental income, lender required we pay down all our credit cards, but our position is strong, 85% equity in existing house and excellent credit. We did a conventional 30 year with 35% down payment and had plenty of cash reserves to cover both homes for 6 months.

Lender may require you have at least 30% equity in the rental, in addtion lender will only use 75% of the rental income. Existing property debt, ie, HOA fees, property taxes, insurance, mortgage, heloc loan, etc, all debts are factored in, do the math, you may be in the red.

Having a signed lease is not a problem, bank will favor this, your problem may be having positive rental income after all debts are calculated.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:27 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post

Lender may require you have at least 30% equity in the rental, in addtion lender will only use 75% of the rental income. Existing property debt, ie, HOA fees, property taxes, insurance, mortgage, heloc loan, etc, all debts are factored in, do the math, you may be in the red.

Fannie removed the equity requirement in June, however, not everyone can follow this change if they do not have access to Direct Fannie money). FHA still has this requirement.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Fannie removed the equity requirement in June, however, not everyone can follow this change if they do not have access to Direct Fannie money). FHA still has this requirement.
So there is a chance. Worst case scenario I can sell my duplex and then by a single family home. I was also considering buying a plot and having a custom home built on it.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:28 PM

Contacted the morgtage loan orginator who did my loan several years ago. He stated that there still is a 30% equity req on the existing property to use both units. Perhaps they have overlays that are more strict.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey25 View Post
Contacted the morgtage loan orginator who did my loan several years ago. He stated that there still is a 30% equity req on the existing property to use both units. Perhaps they have overlays that are more strict.
Nope, not true! You need to find a lender that offers Fannie Direct. Your prior lender may require 30%, but Fannie no longer does. If you want the memo, DM me with your email. (I've spent too much time trying to figure out how to save a doc on this tablet).

Old 11-17-2015, 09:30 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
Smartmoney is correct, Jersey25, this article explains it well.

Move Up Buyers Converting Primary to Rental Property Get reprieve

Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 AM

The other thing I don't think you realize, your lease does not have to start immediately. If you close on your purchase December 20th - your lease can start Feb 1. You can take the entire month of January to make the move, as long as you have the funds to make that January payment on the 2 unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages