Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have rented our entire lives and this year. We were planning on buying a home in 2 or 3 years (we were just married last year) however my father recently passed away leaving my mother living alone. She is disabled (from a car accident) so my husband and I made the decision to find a place to live with her (she currently rents). We could rent a house for $1500-$2000 per month, if we could find the right house. So instead we've decided now is the time to buy. We're just wondering if we're ready financially.

We both make a decent income however we live in an expensive market (Northeast) where home prices and taxes are both high. Our annual gross annual income is $137K (and expected to be even higher this year-I just recieved a $7K raise). Our credit scores are so so. My husband's mid-score is 635 and mine is 660. We don't have much in savings... about $15K. Our total debt including CC cards and car loans is $22K.

Average homes in our market are $325-$400K. Starter homes are $250-$300K.. but don't offer the space we need for my mother. The problem we face is that every time we find a house we want our mortage + taxes and insurance push our PITI to over $3K per month. My husband wants to wait another year until we have another $10K in savings to put down. We just can't wait that long... we need to find a place for my ML to live or commit her to a nursing home where her retirement and finances will be controlled by the state.

We're wondering what our best options may be. Rent to own, seek 100% finiancing? We make too much for SONYMA or other first time buyers assistance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,849,438 times
FHA does not have any max income limits, but they do have max loan limits that are MSA specific. So the metropolitan area (or county if it's more rural) will determine how much you would be allowed to borrower. Their is a 3% minimum borrower contribution and FHA will allow 6% seller concessions. Their is also a reduced MI coverage requirement.

If the FHA limits for the area will allow, based on a $325K purchase price, with 3% down ($9750), and based on a rate of 6% (just a random number, I'm not quoting you a rate) your monthly P&I payment would be around $1900. The MI would run about $132 a month. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages