Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
With the bank we had to have a two week extension so closing date is Jan 31. He says we are ahead of schedule and doing fine. I'm passing things really quickly considering I have a good savings account and really high credit scores. The interest rate with the bank is also locked.

My only concern is how much fees will I be paying the other lender?
Right now the quote for loan costs says

Loan Cost Origination Charges $3,166
Admin Fee $600
Admin Fee $100
Funding Fee $400
MCC Participation Fee $250
Origination Fee $541
Processing Fee $600
Tax Related Service Fee $85
Underwriting Fee $600

Services I can't Shop For $2,720
Appraisal Fee- $550
Condo Questionnaire Fee- $75
Credit Report- $75
Final Inspection $150
Flood Certification $9

Would I really be responsible for all these costs for switching? I know I have to pay an appraisal. Can I have my bank cover some of these? My bank is not charging for most of these costs it seems when I compare.
Gosh no. you'll owe the credit report fee and appraisal, which I assume you used with the new lender so you aren't out anything. All those other costs are for the mortgage going through with the first guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Mortgage insurance is what people have to pay for when they don't put down at least the 20% downpayment. I am only putting down 5% and I want to stay at my place for a short while so I don't see the benefit of paying the insurance. The insurance only benefits the bank because it protects them in case I can't pay it off anymore.

My rate is locked.
Home owner insurance is different. I'm only paying $30/month for that from State Farm.

I just want to know if I'm making the smarter decision to not pay insurance going towards nothin... even though I could possibly lose out on a grant and have to pay the fees for the lender.
you are doing the right thing based on what you have said here.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
It's with OHFA in Ohio. My lender says I can use it for LPMI but I thought it was for FHA. I guess my main problem is I wish I could've gone to my bank in the first place and not have wasted time. I too think LPMI is good for not paying insurance since I plan on staying about 7 years and I've actually got it for a really good rate compared to what other lenders quoted me at which was .25 higher!
For my next home I want to save more money for 20% down payment to go conventional and avoid any insurance because I think it's a waste. At the very least pay insurance for a short amount of time as I could.

I just need to stop worrying and move forward. I feel like I dumped someone (the broker) and they won't leave me alone and try to change my mind. I feel bad but it's what's best for me...now I learned my lessons.
He shouldn't be bothering you. I went back and forth over re-fi or assumption loan? And the assumption loan lady moved at the speed of light I was like hold on, I may want to do this other thing, is that going to be a problem? she said, right up to the end, NO. you do what is right for YOU.

I mean right up to the END, end. They were drawing up the contracts. This broker is getting a profit and doesn't want to lose it. Yes, he wasted some time with you. It's part of his business. Same for all salespeople, and that is what he is.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,543 times
Thanks for the reassurance everyone.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,543 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He shouldn't be bothering you. I went back and forth over re-fi or assumption loan? And the assumption loan lady moved at the speed of light I was like hold on, I may want to do this other thing, is that going to be a problem? she said, right up to the end, NO. you do what is right for YOU.

I mean right up to the END, end. They were drawing up the contracts. This broker is getting a profit and doesn't want to lose it. Yes, he wasted some time with you. It's part of his business. Same for all salespeople, and that is what he is.

Plus my bank gave me an even lower rate saving $83 per month now.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Plus my bank gave me an even lower rate saving $83 per month now.
Yes. Absolutely take that deal. The other guy will live! I used to do sales and I never got upset at my time being 'wasted'. Time with people who choose another option is built-in. It's expected. It sucks for a minute but you move on and he will be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages