Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times

Advertisements

We found an amazing house, but the lady that lived the home was a bit of a hoarder, you can walk around there is just a lot of clutter. It is not an extreme hoarder situation it is just a messy house. Bottom line the house needs to be seriously cleaned. There is also a 4 season closed in porch that is an entryway that has a leaky window and the porch propbably needs to be replaced. The house is sturdy and has a good roof, but has been slightly neglected and just needs to be cleaned out, have some new flooring downstairs, mowed, and landscaped. These are all things my husband and I can do ourselves. Will this house pass inspection/appraisal with the broken porch/entry way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 02:52 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
It will not.

USDA appraisal review is similar to FHA and VA. Sometimes, things that look cosmetic trigger kickbacks with the requirement to repair. Things like rotted paint around windows, of course cracked windows, peeling floor tile, exposed wire, and missing/broken railings on porches/patios, etc.

The place sounds like it looks like a foreclosure. If you like it, you should address your concerns immediately. Myself, I'd fix the railing or paint myself, just to avoid the back-and-forth over who pays. This is provided that the seller is ok with that. But get this stuff fixed BEFORE the appraiser inspects the home, or it will trigger a deeper-than-usual inspection of the appraisal.

I would pay to have the place professionally cleaned out and get that stuff fixed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages