Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 12:09 PM

380 posts, read 2,351,370 times

Advertisements

My home-buying books suggest when making your monthly budget estimates, to multiply the mortgage+property tax by your federal tax bracket to estimate monthly tax savings. Is this a good way to estimate the savings?

I thought I'd also read somewhere that tax benefits decrease as income goes up, but can't find that info. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 07:34 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Tax "savings" are not a sound way to make financial decisions. In order for you taxes to go down, something has to go UP. In this case it's money paid to banks/mortgage companies.

If you have no interest or property taxes to deduct you qualify for the standard deduction from you gross income. I think this year it's about $10-$11,000. If your interest and taxes exceed that much then you take the actual amount on your tax form.

But, and here's why I say the idea of tax "savings" is a bad way to decide. If you pay the bank $20,000 in interest and you reduce your taxes by 25%, you've just paid ONE DOLLAR, to purchase ONE QUARTER. That's not a very wise purchase.

If you find a house you like, and can afford it, not just the payment, but everything else that goes with it; taxes, insurance, upkeep, utilities, then buy it. Don't buy it thinking you're going to save on taxes or that you're "investing" in an appreciating asset.

golfgod

Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks. We're not trying to buy a house to gain tax savings or as an investment, just trying to find the best house for us and determining what the annual costs would be. I thought we not only add up the mortgage, interest, insurance, taxes, maintenance, etc, but take into account the tax deductions as well.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Tax "savings" are not a sound way to make financial decisions. In order for you taxes to go down, something has to go UP. In this case it's money paid to banks/mortgage companies.

If you have no interest or property taxes to deduct you qualify for the standard deduction from you gross income. I think this year it's about $10-$11,000. If your interest and taxes exceed that much then you take the actual amount on your tax form.

But, and here's why I say the idea of tax "savings" is a bad way to decide. If you pay the bank $20,000 in interest and you reduce your taxes by 25%, you've just paid ONE DOLLAR, to purchase ONE QUARTER. That's not a very wise purchase.

If you find a house you like, and can afford it, not just the payment, but everything else that goes with it; taxes, insurance, upkeep, utilities, then buy it. Don't buy it thinking you're going to save on taxes or that you're "investing" in an appreciating asset.

golfgod
I think you're making the answer more complicated than the question intended....

Scenario is simple. If you currently pay $1000/Month rent, based on money you'd be getting back on your taxes by paying mortgage interest, how much more would be about "breaking even" monthly???

IOW If I'm going to get $2400 back on my tax return from owning a home then I'm basically "breaking even" if I'm paying $1200/Month on my mortgage.

That's howI read the question...

(yes I understand that homeownership carries other maintanence expenses, but this is in terms of hard monthly costs.)

Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 AM

Yes, that's what I was trying to ask, sorry if I didn't phrase it right. Trying to figure out the amount I'd get back or save at tax time to figure out annual costs of owning a home. I realize the tax benefit occurs the year after the interest/taxes are paid, but it helps for figuring out the projected budget. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages