Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM

317 posts, read 496,234 times

Advertisements

There is a small cabin that I want to buy. I can get it for $15,000. I have $8,000 saved up so I need to find a way to come up with the other $7,000. I've never been in debt before because I have always paid cash for everything and I don't own any credit cards. My bank won't give me a loan because I don't have any debt history. The sellers of the cabin don't want to do any kind of land contract or owner-finance. None of my friends or family can afford to loan me anything. I don't have anything of value that I can sell.
I can't think of any other options to come up with the money. Are there any mortgage companies that would be willing to work with me on such a small amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
From my experience & I'm not a lender.... for a small amount you'd be better off to talk to a small local bank where you can get nose to nose with the loan officer and explain what you want to do. Are you a member of a credit union? I think they would also be able to help.

Hopefully you have an account at one of those 2 places which would help.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
There is a small cabin that I want to buy. I can get it for $15,000. I have $8,000 saved up so I need to find a way to come up with the other $7,000. I've never been in debt before because I have always paid cash for everything and I don't own any credit cards. My bank won't give me a loan because I don't have any debt history. The sellers of the cabin don't want to do any kind of land contract or owner-finance. None of my friends or family can afford to loan me anything. I don't have anything of value that I can sell.
I can't think of any other options to come up with the money. Are there any mortgage companies that would be willing to work with me on such a small amount?
There are hard money lenders that would loan the money, but their interest rates tend to be higher then most. I'll send you a link tonight of someplace else that might be able to help.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
How old are you? Where do you work? Do you own a home?
A small bank that has management/owners available or an employer/community credit union might be able to write a loan as either a Signature Loan or Cash Line of Credit. Either of these have similar terms to a credit card, which would be much less advantageous than a true mortgage. You would want to structure the payments so that they would be affordable, even if that would mean borrowing MORE so that you could use saving to make a substantial number of payments. After a reasonable amount of time you would then have a credit history and might consider refinancing the debt into shortish mortgage. Suppose that you borrowed $12,000 at 9% for 60 months, that would be about $320 a month. You could then pay off 24 months out of savings. You could then get a very small mortgage (under $9K) for a very short term (10 years) and pay less than $100 a month until it is retired. Ought to fly for any reasonable loan decision maker, as long as you have steady work and don't seem like you will go to cabin and become some freak outlaw...

Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
You can try to post your listing here. its a personal loan but given the scenario you posted here, you shouldnt have any problem getting funding.

Get a personal loan at a great rate - Prosper

Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
Lol.... I was just about to suggest Prosper.com as well... funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages