Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM

5 posts, read 63,389 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are first time homebuyers, and currently waiting to get out of underwriting hell. Our package was submitted a week and a half ago, but still not a word back from anyone. Even our realtor has been pretty silent. I'm feeling so uneasy over this whole situation to be done with!

We've been preapproved with Wells Fargo for 3 months now, we are in contract on a house for 180,000. Inspections are done, appraisal is done, and now we are SITTING.

So, my question is this - What are the chances we could be booted out the door (denied) while in the underwriting process?
We don't have a closing date yet, didn't receive even a Good Faith Estimate just yet. We were preapproved for a $225,000, and we're using my husbands' VA Loan.

Some background:
-My mid- score is about 680, because I have only had some late credit accounts 2 and 3 years ago that are now marked PAID as agreed. I have been a good girl, no late payments or collections on my credit currently.

-His credit score is about 670 due to collections. He is currently in collections for a Sprint cell phone account for $700.00 that he had closed 2 years ago.

-We are currently living with my father in law, saved up about $20,000 for down payment/closing cost. Paid off our Toyota last year.

Right now we don't have any revolving debt, just monthly bills mostly from insurance for the car, medical, and renters insurance.

I make $16,000 annually from disability income and he makes roughly $40,000 per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,686,374 times
I don't understand how you are in underwriting without ever having recieved a Good Faith Estimate. That should have been included in all of your loan docs at time of application.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,021,412 times
From the information you provided, it seems you shouldnt have a problem getting approved. Since you are doing a VA loan, the collection on your husband's credit shoudnt be an issue.

The lender you are working with is required to send you a good faith estimate within 3 days of completing your loan application. Have they told you what your rate is?

You need to DEMAND better service from your realtor who is earning 3% of the purchase price as a commission, so almost $6000 and your loan officer is also earning a commission. Call them, demand to be updated, ask for a good faith estimate and what rate they have you locked. Post back the rate and many people here can let you know if you are getting a fair deal. With the information you provided, your rate should be no higher than 5%.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,340,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I don't understand how you are in underwriting without ever having recieved a Good Faith Estimate. That should have been included in all of your loan docs at time of application.
I was wondering the same thing... something is fishy !!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM

424 posts, read 2,341,866 times
we are in "underwriting hell", as you put it, also. But I agree, I don't understand the order of events for you, they seem different than how things went for us. Please clarify. But mostly, VictorBurek is right-- you call your loan guy and real estate agent and say "hey, what's going on?" Our realtor and loan agent call or email several times a week and check in. They should keep you up to speed on the progress, and be ready and willing to answer any questions you have.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks everyone. We got a call from our lender today, she seems to think we have a "great" chance of passing underwriting.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,292,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemse View Post
Hubby and I are first time homebuyers, and currently waiting to get out of underwriting hell. Our package was submitted a week and a half ago, but still not a word back from anyone. Even our realtor has been pretty silent. I'm feeling so uneasy over this whole situation to be done with!

We've been preapproved with Wells Fargo for 3 months now, we are in contract on a house for 180,000. Inspections are done, appraisal is done, and now we are SITTING.

So, my question is this - What are the chances we could be booted out the door (denied) while in the underwriting process?
We don't have a closing date yet, didn't receive even a Good Faith Estimate just yet. We were preapproved for a $225,000, and we're using my husbands' VA Loan.

Some background:
-My mid- score is about 680, because I have only had some late credit accounts 2 and 3 years ago that are now marked PAID as agreed. I have been a good girl, no late payments or collections on my credit currently.

-His credit score is about 670 due to collections. He is currently in collections for a Sprint cell phone account for $700.00 that he had closed 2 years ago.

-We are currently living with my father in law, saved up about $20,000 for down payment/closing cost. Paid off our Toyota last year.

Right now we don't have any revolving debt, just monthly bills mostly from insurance for the car, medical, and renters insurance.

I make $16,000 annually from disability income and he makes roughly $40,000 per year.
Wait...no GFE? Usually you get this before underwriting! Without a lock, I would imagine they have more flexibility in changing terms.

In my experience, nothing is set in stone until the loan closes. From this point until then you must stay on top of them.

S.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,777,867 times
You should already have your GFE. You get your HUD statement right before closing, telling you what you actually need to bring to the table.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 AM

Ah... Just got the GFE today -- in the mail! We haven't locked our interest rate yet but it's ON the GFE as 5.25% @ 30 years. Still looking it over.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 AM

Update: We locked in our loan today at 5.1 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages