Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,840 times

Advertisements

We currently had to move our family 1,200 miles across country due to a Military PCS move. We tried selling our primary residence prior to moving but decided to just go ahead and rent it instead. We DO currently have it rented and under lease. Now that we are moved, we really miss having a home and want to obtain another loan to purchase a second house which would now become our primary residence.

Since my husband used his VA entitlement on our house we just rented I was going to use my VA benefits for this new loan. We DO have about $35,000 in equity in that house.

I found a house that I absolutely love and would be able to afford both mortgage payments if something happened where I had a renter bail on the one. It is silly for me to pay $1,500 a month in rent right now when I could purchase the same house here and pay $960 a month.

Will still having the mortgage on the rented property hurt us for obtaining a new primary residence?
Do I have more advantage that we have another VA entitlement we can use?
I have purchased 3 homes in the past but never owned more than one at a time. I am really nervous since this is a whole new situation.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:16 PM

214 posts, read 810,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlosa View Post
We currently had to move our family 1,200 miles across country due to a Military PCS move. We tried selling our primary residence prior to moving but decided to just go ahead and rent it instead. We DO currently have it rented and under lease. Now that we are moved, we really miss having a home and want to obtain another loan to purchase a second house which would now become our primary residence.

Since my husband used his VA entitlement on our house we just rented I was going to use my VA benefits for this new loan. We DO have about $35,000 in equity in that house.

I found a house that I absolutely love and would be able to afford both mortgage payments if something happened where I had a renter bail on the one. It is silly for me to pay $1,500 a month in rent right now when I could purchase the same house here and pay $960 a month.

Will still having the mortgage on the rented property hurt us for obtaining a new primary residence?
I have purchased 3 homes in the past but never owned more than one at a time. I am really nervous since this is a whole new situation.

Hi nmlosa,

You'll be fine. Since you're using your VA entitlement and because you were transferred for work it's going to be easier. The key is finding the right lender who doesn't apply the more restrictive buy and bail guidelines to all of their programs.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-02-2011 at 04:47 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM

646 posts, read 1,642,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlosa View Post

First off, I would like to thank you and your family for your service! As a Military spouse, and Military Veteran myself, I know the life all too well. So thank you!!

Owning two homes....Should one do it if they are in the Military? Depends on many variables.
1. Funds. Do you have enough saved for a rainy day? What would happen if you can't get a renter into your investment property? What if something major broke?
2. Debt/Income ratio. Not sure if you both work, or if you just have 1 income. Carrying two mortgages is very risky.
3. What if you transfer again in a few years, and don't have renters for either properties. Now you have two mortgages and a rent payment to cover?

Many things go into whether or not you are ready to become a landlord and own multiple dwellings. As a Realtor, and as a military spouse, I would not advise anyone in the military to add such a stress. You have enough on your plate with impending transfer seasons.

I would contact a local financial advisor, Usaa has one. Get their opinion as to the financial side of things. Also speak to an Attorney. Ask them how the eviction process works if someone is renting your place, however, is refusing to pay rent. All of these different things add up and can put a damper on a successful Real Estate investment and/or Idea.

You want to be sure you thought of everything so you are not increasing debt and liability, and getting nothing in return.

Good luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages