Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 08:28 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times

Advertisements

59% of Home Buyers Rely on Low Down-Payment Government Mortgages | RISMedia

If you add in the $8K tax credit for first time homeowners/and or those who haven't owned home in the past 3 years, people aren't putting down much money at all.

Already taxpayers are on the hook for Freddie/Fannie.

The default rates on the government backed loans are just as bad as the regular conventional loans.

It's scary how much future liability the US taxpayers are on the hook for with these mortgages. Most of these government backed loan programs let people obtain the loan with less than stellar credit scores (aka those less than 650). Sure they require lots of documents, but still you are exposing the US taxpayers to the not most credit worthy borrowers who have very little skin in the game (very or no downpayment PLUS giving them a $8K first time homeowners tax credit).

In business classes during college, I was taught mortgage lending was an extremely profitable business to be in when it involves those with the best credit scores and significant downpayments.

Looks like the government didn't attend business 101 classes. Why subject US taxpayers to the bottom feeders of the credit score chain in addition to not requiring a significant down-payment? How is the government supposed to raise revenue with these loan programs? Looks like a money losing deal for the taxpayers if these loans go bad (and you know millions have already).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
FHA financing was always a good option for the more conservative bottom-feeders.. low down and fairly good fixed rates even with poor credit. The problem was that the other lenders undercut their rates, offering no down and exotic terms with no credit check.. those kinds of loans are now a bad memory, and now FHA is genuinely the best deal out there.

But the real damage those exotic products did to the economy was in destroying the incentive to save up and bring a large down payment to the table. If you could buy a house with no out of pocket expense, then why save? That's why you're seeing so many of the government-backed loans now. The number of people with six-digit bank balances that are ready to sign them away on homes is pretty limited.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM

328 posts, read 886,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
FHA financing was always a good option for the more conservative bottom-feeders.. low down and fairly good fixed rates even with poor credit. The problem was that the other lenders undercut their rates, offering no down and exotic terms with no credit check.. those kinds of loans are now a bad memory, and now FHA is genuinely the best deal out there.

But the real damage those exotic products did to the economy was in destroying the incentive to save up and bring a large down payment to the table. If you could buy a house with no out of pocket expense, then why save? That's why you're seeing so many of the government-backed loans now. The number of people with six-digit bank balances that are ready to sign them away on homes is pretty limited.
Good post. It was the exotic products that got us in to the mess.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:40 AM

6 posts, read 13,474 times
Default VA Vendee or VA Loan Guaranty

Well I guess as a State and Federal Tax Payer, I would be considered a bottom-feeder.
So being a Disabled Veteran, using the VA Loan Guaranty as a backing to a regular mortgage makes me a even lower degenerate bottom feeder.

I just hope the rate I am getting locked in at (4.5% 30yr Fixed BOA) and Credit Score (640) doesn't make me into a deadbeat mortgage holder that it seems I have already been labeled as.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-26-2009 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: No need to be snarky towards another member -- she's entitled to her opinion, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages