Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,165 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am graduating with my MBA in a few weeks and have accepted a job that I will start later this summer in a different state. My wife and I would like to move to the new area, buy a home, and get settled before I begin work, but I understand it can be difficult to get a mortgage without having already worked the new job and producing a pay stub. We have the finances to pay the down payment and the mortgage until I begin working. This will be my first time purchasing a home... what do people normally do when they start a new job in another state and want to buy? Do you essentially just have to figure out a temporary living situation long enough to get that first pay check before you can actually move into a home? Any thoughts or experiences anyone has had would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,946,677 times
Summer is too far out.

As a first time buyer, I am going to assume you are going to want to go with the minimum down, which will point us to FHA or a state bond program.

FHA requires you start your new job in 30 days, with verifiable written offer. That is FHA. Many investors have overlays (their own requirements) and will want the job to be started. If you want to buy before starting, you will need to find a lender that underwrites strictly to FHA guidelines.

Most bond programs will want you to be on the job, some may requrie 3 months on the job. The also vary greatly from state to state, so I won't even attempt to guess that one.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 AM

6,459 posts, read 9,836,314 times
I was in the same situation except my start date was not that far out. I stayed in a hotel until closing, the day before the closing occurred was the first pay stub I received from my new job. They accepted that and we closed on time the next day.

You will have to find out your actual start date, then go find the house you want about 2 weeks before you start. Get a cheap extended stay and work the new job while they process your loan and explain to them you will get your first pay stub on whatever day it is.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,022,856 times
In past times you could have bought before starting with a letter from your employer. Now, you will have to provide at least 1 pay check before you can close.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,946,677 times
We still have investors underwriting and adhering to FHA guidelines, which will allow you to close with just verification you will start in 30 days. We are a correspondent lender that closes loans in our own name and delivers to these investors post closing. The investors are national lenders with their own retail departments.

Sometimes brokers have stricter rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages