Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 PM

83,553 posts, read 75,444,508 times

Advertisements

Long story short. Took out a $63,000 Line of Credit on Condo in 2005 under wifes name. Sold Condo bought house in 2007 under my name only. Condo mortgage paid off but HELOC wasn't. I continued to pay on time monthly all this time.

Now I'm running into dry spell with income and cant afford to.

Still owe $62,000!! 8% rate, paying minimum of $350.00/mth

Anyone expierence this??? Can I stop paying? Will they do a modification for me to a lower rate? Will they just give it to collections? My wife doesn't own anything anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
How were you able to sell your condo with a clean title?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,936,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
Long story short. Took out a $63,000 Line of Credit on Condo in 2005 under wifes name. Sold Condo bought house in 2007 under my name only. Condo mortgage paid off but HELOC wasn't. I continued to pay on time monthly all this time.

Now I'm running into dry spell with income and cant afford to.

Still owe $62,000!! 8% rate, paying minimum of $350.00/mth

Anyone expierence this??? Can I stop paying? Will they do a modification for me to a lower rate? Will they just give it to collections? My wife doesn't own anything anymore.
If Citi did not sign off on the sale of the condo........

Do not pass go......go straight to an attorney's office. You sold a condo and represented the only debt on the property was the one loan?

The lender for the buyer of the condo is covered by title insurance......the borrower could have a case of fraud against the seller of the condo (your wife), even without title insurance.......and then the title insurer would be putting a target on your back.

I'm crossing my fingers that you left out a vital step in your story........

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Not sure what that vital step is...I think I said everything plain and clear. Why didn't my closing attorney catch that the title was not clear?? I dont get that. When you go get the title, should both loans have been on there??

I been paying the heloc all along but not sure if I need to now. What if the title was clean? Can that be? What if the heloc was never attached to the property?

I remember my loan officer was through email and during the spike in mortgage handouts. Could it be they screwed up and it's not secured to anything???

I dont want to ask the attorney because my wife works there + I dont want them saying I owe the full amount now. We're in no position to do that let alone pay $350 a month.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Why didn't you mention this when you sold the condo?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why didn't you mention this when you sold the condo?
It was $63,000 extra in my pocket from the sale but to be honest I did forget. We closed pretty fast.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Quote:
It was $63,000 extra in my pocket from the sale but to be honest I did forget. We closed pretty fast.
So you knew it was an extra $63,000 in your pocket, but you forget about it? And now you think you shouldn't have to pay it back?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,936,434 times
Quote:
Not sure what that vital step is...I think I said everything plain and clear. Why didn't my closing attorney catch that the title was not clear?? I dont get that. When you go get the title, should both loans have been on there??

I been paying the heloc all along but not sure if I need to now. What if the title was clean? Can that be? What if the heloc was never attached to the property?

I remember my loan officer was through email and during the spike in mortgage handouts. Could it be they screwed up and it's not secured to anything???

I dont want to ask the attorney because my wife works there + I dont want them saying I owe the full amount now. We're in no position to do that let alone pay $350 a month.
If the heloc was never placed against the condo, it would not be called a "home equity," but a credit line. A 60K credit line, while not unheard of, is not likely. Did you deduct the heloc interest on your tax return as home interest?

The listing agent would have asked what monies were owed against the condo, as would the title company. Both procedures are standard practice. Ask your wife if there is a questionnaire they send to sellers. You'll find out real quick what happens when you stop paying that loan. I'm sure you're aware ignorance is not a defense. The title insurance will be paying the claim, and I am willing to bet, coming after you and your wife for fraud. Because a lien was not caught, does not relieve you from the obligation of paying it, far from it. The fact that she worked at the attorney's office will give the impression she should have known better.

I stand by my original advice. Go see an attorney, not where your wife works. You could have more than one problem here and you cannot afford not to go.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you knew it was an extra $63,000 in your pocket, but you forget about it? And now you think you shouldn't have to pay it back?

?

I can't...not that I think I don't have to. 2 HUGE DIFFERENCES.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM

324 posts, read 838,260 times
Quote:
Quote:
?

I can't...not that I think I don't have to. 2 HUGE DIFFERENCES.
So what happened to the "extra $63,000 in your pocket." I have a hard time believing a person could "forget" they owe $63,000. What the heck happened to all that money during the period of time you "forgot"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages