Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 AM

30 posts, read 46,838 times

Advertisements

In December I applied for mortgage reduction program and after I was four months behind I was told I didn't make enough to qualify. Also told if I reduce my debt I can reapply. I guess its my decision what to stop having food or electric or propane or gasoline. Who is getting this help? If you have to make what you made before then why do you need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
funny.... I just posted another thread about how to get approved for a short sale... BUT, we did at one time try to get an adjustment on our mortgage for our home we are trying to sell (we live out of state now due to job loss & relo) and we were told that we didn't qualify because we chose to move (regardless of the fact that IF we didn't move, we would have no job!) and my husband's salary was too high AND we were current on our payments...

So yes, who gets adjustments too?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 AM

30 posts, read 46,838 times
Certainly not those who need it.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffalookin
Who is getting this help?
Currently, it appears that about 5% of the people who should qualify
are getting some help. Note that some reductions are on the order
of a couple hundred dollars a month - in such case, why bother?

The other 95%, including you, have to just go pound sand.
What a great program, huh?

I read an interesting article that as much as 7 million people in
the US who would otherwise need to pay their mortgage are
not currently doing so for various reasons.

They pay their credit cards because not doing so means they get
cancelled fairly soon. You can't eat out using the card any more.

They are paying their auto loans because not doing so means that
a big guy will come and take your vehicle fairly soon.

It is taking, sometimes, a whole year to complete a foreclosure
and evict a person from their house due to the volume.

It would appear that some of the current "economic recovery"
is due to an effective increase in personal income due to the
cessation of mortgage payments while waiting to be evicted.

I can see that. If your income has been reduced by 50% and
your house payment is 50% of your former income, discontinuing
payment effectively means no loss of income ( for a while ).

If you can't afford to make 100% of the payment, making 20%
doesn't help you in this world.

It would be simpler to just re-set everyone's mortgage payment
to, say 5% and keep it there for five years. It's not like it costs the
banks anything to do this anyway. They don't actually get the interest
any more. They just service the accounts which are owned by others.

HAMP has certainly been a failure.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,522 times
Most government programs are failures.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 24,606 times
Record's show only 170,000 loan modifications were given out of the 1.5 million that are in great need of a payment reduction. If you can't pay your mortgage loan and
if you want results, you really need to find a company that has the skills and experience of dealing with the dept who handles such negotiations. That department is known as the loss mitigation dept.
You want a team of people who have a high success rate and who do not expect you to pay them until you are 100% satisfied with the terms your lender is offering to you.
The reason why people are not getting anywhere is because the banks know you have little knowledge of what you are trying to achieve. Remember they are the root cause of this whole mess to begin with.
The money you spend with a good company is truely an investment in your future. BEST WISHES

Old 04-25-2010, 06:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Define "deserve".

Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffalookin View Post
In December I applied for mortgage reduction program and after I was four months behind I was told I didn't make enough to qualify. Also told if I reduce my debt I can reapply. I guess its my decision what to stop having food or electric or propane or gasoline. Who is getting this help? If you have to make what you made before then why do you need help.
Nobody deserves a mortgage reduction. Those that get one should consider themselves lucky. If you got yourself in trouble you likely will lose your house. That is unfortunate, but it is the way it should be.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Nobody deserves a mortgage reduction. Those that get one should consider themselves lucky. If you got yourself in trouble you likely will lose your house. That is unfortunate, but it is the way it should be.

Not EVERYONE who is looking for a mod. got themselves in trouble or did something they shouldn't have done....
If you want me to re-hash our story, I will......

We built a home in 2007, with every intention of living there for a very,very long time, at least until our children graduated (which is in about 10 years).... we built a home well within our means.
My husband's company started to reorganize soon after our move,much to everyone's surprise as they had just built a multi-million dollar R&D center.
My husband "survived" the reorg only to find out a few months later, they were closing their doors-completely.
After searching for a job, unfortunately, he was not able to find one in the area in which we were currently living. He was however, offered a great opportunity in another state, great salary,benefits,etc.... so the choice was to go with no job or take a new job, elsewhere.
So, he took the job. This is also a great move for his career as well.
My children & I stayed in our home while it was on the market for 6 months, while my husband moved to our new area and lived in corporate housing. In those 6 months, we watched the real estate in our area just completely take that spiral downwards.
We had NO showings,NO calls, no nothing in those 6 months. When it became obvious that nothing was going to happen soon, we decided that we should all make the move to our new area and we were able to rent our home to a nice family.
Unfortunately, the family could not afford what we would have liked in rent, so we rented at a loss and continued to pay the difference while also paying rent here in our new area.
Long story short...... our tenants were in our home for a year, the house remained on the market for most of that time with still very little activity. We continued to watch forclosures pop up all over our area in which our home is located. We continued to watch our house value drop and drop and drop.
...... tried to get a modification because of the strain of paying for 2 homes, were told that because we were current on our mortgage payments and because of my husband's salary, we would not qualify.
Our tenants lived in our home for a year, have since had to also relo due to a job loss, so now EIGHTEEN months later, we are STILL paying for our vacant home, the banks STILL won't talk to us about a modification and now we have a potential contract but they won't talk to us about possibly qualifying for a short sale (our home has now been reduced to $200K below what we paid for it because of all of the foreclosures in the area) again,because we are current on our payments.

SO-let me ask you this.... do you think that we should be punished because of what has happened to the housing market? We certainly haven't done anything wrong. Do you know how easy it is for people to just walk away from their homes right now because the banks can't keep up with all the people who are doing it? for EIGHTEEN months , we have remained current on our mortage for our vacant home,our utilities,our HOA and property taxes. How long would YOU be able to continue paying for 2 homes and all of the other bills that come with owning a home and having children & other responsibilities?
We have struggled with all of this on the morality side and do not for one minute agree with those that have walked away, but to say that no one deserves a modification is quite selfish.
Let's hope that you or your spouse or significant other don't lose your job one day and you can't pay your mortgage, or let's hope you aren't ever in our position...........
Maybe you are a wealthy individual who could continue to pay for 2 homes with no end in sight, but I will tell you that we are not.
We have drained almost our entire savings trying to keep up with both paymens and because we are current, we are being punished.

I think that there are very valid reasons in which why people would seek a modification and it is wrong to imply that everyone who has tried to seek one or will try in the future, has done something wrong.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Not EVERYONE who is looking for a mod. got themselves in trouble or did something they shouldn't have done....
If you want me to re-hash our story, I will......
Honestly.... I'm sorry that you are in this situation....I don't think you've done anything wrong. I've known people in the exact same situation and there are THOUSANDS just like you....

But no one "deserves" to have a loan modification. No one is "punishing" you. You signed a contract.

The banks are not "punishing" you for expecting you to pay them according to the terms that YOU agreed to.

Would I hope that the banks would be more lenient with you during this time, yes... I think that you and the bank should work out an agreement that would work for the both of you. I wish more banks would realize that if they didn't work out a deal then everyone is going to lose.

But to say that you "deserve" one or are being "punished"....sorry... not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages