Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,354 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've recently received a nice raise at my job and have long loved the idea of owning a motorcycle for the sense of freedom and self-determination, but am having a hard time deciding what suits me. I'm a twenty-something without many responsibilities and disposable income. I like the idea of owning something American, as all of my vehicles have been American, but am open to the idea of something European if it is a good bike. I like Japanese sport bikes in theory (more about performance than comfort, good power to weight ratios, etc), but dislike the plastic fairings and futuristic styling. I don't really want a big Harley, as you pay a premium for the name (although they're great bikes from what I'm told), and I dislike the association with the outlaw biker scene. I've heard Triumph makes a good motorcycle, but they seem to have a very upright and high riding position, which looks a little awkward to me. Really, I'm looking for a mid sized, classically minimalist styled, performance oriented bike. I'm a Ford Mustang guy, and if there was some equivalent 'pony car' motorcycle, that would seem to fit me best. Also, I've never owned a motorcycle before, and have limited experience riding them, so it would be nice to own something without too steep a learning curve. I'm not wanting to spend more than about $10,000 on the bike, and am willing to buy used (since it will be my first bike, I'm sure I'll drop it, so it doesn't need to be too nice, heh).

I welcome any recommendations you can give me. I'm sure you guys get lots of topics like this and I appreciate your patience. I've been wanting to get a motorcycle for some time now, but do even know where to start. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
If i was in your position and looking for a user friendly sporty type bike that could double as a tourer i'd research the Suzuki SV650..

suzuki sv650 - Google Search

Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,170,887 times
Two things to consider before you get overly concerned with how the bike looks and how you look on it, especially if you're new to riding:

1) What style of riding do you want to do?

2) How do you fit on the bike?

The first question narrows your window pretty quick. If you're only looking for on-road action, obviously we can skip dual-sport bikes and probably a good deal of the adventure bikes out there (although many do own and enjoy adventure bikes while never taking them in the dirt. Kinda like having a Jeep and never hitting a trail, but I digress). If you're all about the cruiser look (which is all the cruiser really has to offer IMO), then obviously that narrows down your field more. If you only plan on going balls-out and raising hell (probably not the best idea for a beginner), then only the most crotch-rockety of crotch rockets will do. If, however, you'd just like to get out and ride, be able to have fun in the corners, but also be able to ride more than 50 miles without shooting pains and discomfort, you'll find there's still a TON of selection. In case it's not obvious, I recommend something from the last group. There's a number of genres that would fall into that group, including: naked, sport touring, sport (as opposed to hypersport), standard, UJM, etc. But really what they offer is a 'do-it-all' style of bike more suited to the everyday rider. You just have to decide what kind of 'everyday' you want from there.

But almost more important than that is how you fit a bike. Now, keep in mind this is coming from a guy who pushes the envelope of what should fit on most bikes (6'7" 300lbs), but it's obviously no good to salivate over a bike you really don't fit on or feel comfortable on. Once you have a rough idea of what style of bike you want (which, again, is dictated by how you want to ride), I recommend throwing a leg over every bike you can find that falls into that category. Large dealerships with even larger used sections are very good for this, although that DOES mean you'll likely have to deal with a bike salesman (yes, pretty much the same as a car salesman. Oy.) What you're looking for is a neutral and relaxed riding position. That means nothing is tight or too far away, and you don't feel the weight on any one given point. Cruisers put the weight on your tailbone; crotch rockets put it on your wrists. Find something more in between. The more it feels like sitting on a stool, the more comfortable you'll be in the long run because it allows you to shift around.

Seeing how this is your first bike, I would also caution you to not fall in love with it. The chance is high that you'll drop it, and it's a lot less painful (emotionally) to see a bike you're not overly in love with get wrecked vs your 'baby'. This is why so many start with a good condition used bike. And, of course, there's also the standard beginner warning of starting out on something tame and moving your way up. Do some searching on here for other beginner riders who have asked for suggestions on bikes. You'll get some great lists. And lastly, buy good gear and take the Motorcycle Safety Course. In all, I would budget somewhere around $5000 to get into riding, which includes: a good condition used bike, gear, the class, insurance, registration, etc. Save the rest towards that next bike, or 'waste' it on toys for the first one or track days (my latest moneypit of a hobby).

But, to get all the way back to answering your question, if you have a real hard-on for something Americana, look into a Buell. They're now defunct (sadly), but made some awesome and unique bikes. Outside of them, I would say you sound like a guy who may enjoy a good naked bike like the Triumph Speed/Street Triple, Ducati Monster, etc. Again, I'm not recommending these as a FIRST bike, but maybe something to build towards as you develop your skills on something less costly/challenging.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 05-13-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Start out with Harley 883 Sportster. You won't be looked at like an outlaw biker but you will fit in with any group.
I seem to remember Harley giving full price on a trade up to a bigger bike.

Stay away from the crotch rockets. They don't call their riders "organ doners" for nothing.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
It all depends on how one rides. Crotch rockets aren't necessarily more dangerous. But they aren't what Widowmaker2k is looking for.

I'd say a Triumph Bonneville might be a good choice. I've been riding since 1967 and I must say it looks good to me.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,528 times
"have limited experience riding them"

Depending on how limited your experience really is, I'd suggest a a different tack. Best advice I ever got as a newbie was start with a Honda Rebel or Suzuki's 250cc class bike. I had ridden bigger bikes but really didn't have the experience to be on one.

Yes, you will outgrow it, yes you can get a good chunk of your change back when you sell it. Yes, assuming you're fortunate, you'll learn enough to not get yourself crippled or killed before you can handle a bigger bike if you really start frequent riding (its addictive). Its a trainer bike with good reason, you need to learn to ride before you get a serious bike. You can select the most appropriate bike for your preferences after you've learned how to handle a basic bike with a high degree of competence. JMO

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 05-13-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
I've had a Cruser

I've had a Sportbike

I've got an Enduro

And I've Got a BMW.

If I had it to do it all over again...

I'd buy my R1150R all over again!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,274,662 times
I'd go with a Ninja 250 or Ninja 500, possibly a Suzuki GS500E as a learner bike. You'll learn on something you don't care that much about, get some of your money back, and know a lot more about what you really want.

I'd second the idea of the SV650 as a sort of Ford Mustang of motorcycles. There isn't a perfect analogy, but some parallels. I also like the Bonneville: 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

You should look into the Monster too: http://autobikegallery.com/wp-conten...ter-696-12.jpg

I drive a Honda Civic Si Coupe and ride a Yamaha FZ6R. The FZ6R is truly the Civic Si Coupe of motorcycles. They're even the same color, and my girlfriend commented that they look like they're related sitting in my garage.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 05-14-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 10:19 AM

48 posts, read 81,110 times
I have a 2002 Mustang, and a 2005 Harley 883 Sportster Low, and I love both of them. My bike is in excellent condition, and was only $4500. If you are a small or medium sized guy, I would definitely suggest getting a Sportster. It's relatively easy to learn how to ride, and like PDD said, Harley has a great trade-up policy if you feel like you're outgrowing the bike. There are some great styles that are very minimalistic, and I have never felt associated with the outlaw biker scene. Granted, I am from Omaha, NE, but you'd be surprised how many college age, young professionals, and even family-oriented people are buying bikes and enjoying the hell out of them these days.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,065 times
I'd buy a Ninja 250-500 or Buell Blast, ride the shyt out of it for a year or 2 and then decide what you want.

I started on used ninja 250, a year layer I sold it for what I paid and bought a Triumph Bonneville, a kick ass, easy to ride bike. (I like the Thruxton looks better) and now I'm looking to buy a Triumph Street Triple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles