Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:10 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

ATGATT,

All The Gear, All The Time.

There is a lot of good motorcycle gear out there, boots that save ankles and feet, suits that save skin, helmets that save heads, back protectors that save spines.

Not saying every accident is survivable but you give yourself a better chance of survival with proper safety gear.

Anyone that rides motos long enough is going to have a fall. Doesn't matter how good you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yeah, I know what a highside is, but no one was there to see if it was a highside or a lowside. To the cops it looked as if it were a high side.

Nope, I have no idea how under real hard braking anyone gets to fly over the bars. Tell me.

This is what shows on a camera as 2 long skid marks in line, the out of line mark was just there, and I have no idea how that little mark to the right was created.

I know how the long straight one was, since I made it. At no time did I go over the bars. It is a measured 85.5 feet.

Here's the little moose, and it is little, that stopped that Jeep Cherokee Right NOW fast, and you discount.
Under hard braking, especially around a corner, one can end up high-siding. For some reason, I think you understand this, but want to be contrarian.

Wow, you made a skid mark! What does your straight line braking or moose have to do with the death of Mr Cortos? Seems like you just like talking about yourself instead of the topic on hand.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I wonder what the guy hit? He didn't just sail over the bars because he set up the brake hard. Since it appears as a group ride, chances are he wasn't going fast.

I did say the artical left something out.

Yeah maybe he braked and highsided, took one too many pices of the pie in a curve, but you and I will never know, because we were not there to see, and the artical didn't tell us.

IMO wearing a lid is a choice i will get to make, when I want and I do own 3 differnt kinds of lids. I said that too. In NH I get to choose which or none I will use on any given day, and if I choose none first off that's my business and further more I can't be charged with an infraction and so caused to pay a fee.

IMO some people taking a shower should wear lids. Others driving a cage should wear lids, and some people in bed should wear lids.

But law or no law I will choose when, where, and why for me myself, and frankly it isn't anyone else's bee's wax.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
Helmet laws like seat belt laws are intrusive to our freedoms as the government cannot control our behaviors with laws. One must use good ol' COMMON SENSE no lawe can replace that.

Please think before you blindly vote for your Senator and Representatives. Do they vote for laws that control us or not? A lot of info can be found on line pre voting relating to their opinions/votes...

Always a shame when someone is hurt or killed though!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Another good reason to wear a helmet is that it protects your face from debris. I don't know how many times I have been hit square in the faceshield by a rock thrown by a truck or debris bouncing out of the bed of dumptruck or something. One time the plastic even cracked a bit. Could have been nasty if I was just wearing goggles.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
I wonder what the guy hit? He didn't just sail over the bars because he set up the brake hard. Since it appears as a group ride, chances are he wasn't going fast.
That very much depends on the group

Quote:
But law or no law I will choose when, where, and why for me myself, and frankly it isn't anyone else's bee's wax.
Those forced to sop brains up off the road might argue that point, perhaps if you're willing to simply be left on the shoulder as just more roadkill............................

Last edited by burdell; 07-05-2011 at 07:38 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Helmet laws like seat belt laws are intrusive to our freedoms as the government cannot control our behaviors with laws. One must use good ol' COMMON SENSE no lawe can replace that.

Please think before you blindly vote for your Senator and Representatives. Do they vote for laws that control us or not? A lot of info can be found on line pre voting relating to their opinions/votes...

Always a shame when someone is hurt or killed though!
Those who chose not to wear a helmet or seatbelts lack common sense.
Sometimes the gov't has to use laws to keep stupid people from killing themselves and others.

Just because a person can carry on a conversation or type letters on a keyboard does not mean they are not stupid.

Can you imagine no traffic laws at all?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That very much depends on the group

Those forced to sop brains up off the road might argue that point, perhaps if you're willing to simply be left on the shoulder as just more roadkill............................
I am willing.... In fact if I am killed riding, and am moved I would like my rotting carcass to be located on the steps of the capitol on NH, otherwise just leave me as i was.

Like I said I choose for me. On my USA tour i wore a lid every day, starting from where I lived. I was going to be in places I had never been before.

Yesterday afternoon I rode out the Kanc in NH, starting after 3 to party and see fireworks after dusk. I rode out around 100 miles for grins and giggles and was just puttin slow. It was just one of those days you didn't need a lid.

I waved faster riders by several times since i won't be pushed. I was doing the exact legal limits, but won't hold guys faster up.

NH is busy on holiday weekends, but if you know the back roads there is still little to no real traffic. After getting to N.Woodstock and eatting I took Rt 175 to Holderness, and didn't count more than about 6 cars, and 4 bikes, in about 30 miles. Not much point in wearing a lid doing that in great weather.

Back roads are not interstate, they have no real traffic. In places where crazy cages are out to kill me I wear a lid, and full leather, with boots upto my knees. Since 67' I have learned a few things about riding I think.

I also do 100% all work on my bikes, infact one came from a scrap heap in a auto junk yard, and all other vehicals.

What I don't understand is trusting a paid tech, unless you are right there getting greasey with him. Most any times I ever find a problem on some others guys complaint, it is directly due to an wrong part, or error some dealer tech made. To me that's insane.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Those who chose not to wear a helmet or seatbelts lack common sense.
Sometimes the gov't has to use laws to keep stupid people from killing themselves and others.

Just because a person can carry on a conversation or type letters on a keyboard does not mean they are not stupid.

Can you imagine no traffic laws at all?
Seems to me that if people obeyed traffic laws there would be no accidents mostly.

All the time folks from away want to force me to speed in posted 30 MPH zones that are common in rural NH villages. I won't, and on a bike i ride zig zaggy al over the whole lane. This causes them to think I left my tinfoil hat home. They back off my rear fender well doing that stunt.

There is a good chance by modern mans ideas I am as stupid as it gets, but then in my world most modern men are pretty dammed stupid as I view things. I manage to take care of myself, but I sure wonder about the moderns.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I don't think the lids should be required, should be the persons choice. As to the folks who clean brains up on the highway, that's they're job...and they should be glad to be gainfully employed. Personally, i put on a full face helmet everytime i hop on the bike...along with a jacket, gloves, and boots. But there are some out there who'd rather go without. My thoughts, i could easily die hitting my head in the shower, or tripping over a carpet in the living room...I don't even want to think about dragging my face down asphalt for 30-100 feet...gah, that'd leave a mark (my blood on the pavement). But let people decide what they want to do. Speed limits make some logical sense to me, as going to fast doesn't simply put your life in danger, but someone else' as well. You not wearing a helmet though, or not wearing a seatbelt can affect those around you, but it's not going to kill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles