Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times

Advertisements

So, I want to get a Vespa, but I'm hesitating because I don't know how to store it while in school. My school is 4 hrs. away from home, so I'll only go there to drop it off in the winter and pick it up once it gets warm. I drive a 2006 VW Jetta, so I was thinking about buying this (image below) to bring it to from my house down to my school.

I'd be using it to drive from my off-campus apartment to school. However, when I go to get groceries (or things like that), where can I store it? Would I just leave it out there?

My parents say it's not worth the hassle. But I say, "I'm young, why not live a little?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
why not purchase it near school and use a winter storage service instead of bringing it home? easier than figuring out what to do with that ramp hitch contraption all year if you don't have your own garage. jetta isn't an ideal vehicle to put 300 lbs or more (hitch + scooter) on the rear anyway

as far as what to do with it while shopping, you can park a scooter pretty much wherever you can park a car. i don't really understand that question...??

Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
why not purchase it near school and use a winter storage service instead of bringing it home? easier than figuring out what to do with that ramp hitch contraption all year if you don't have your own garage. jetta isn't an ideal vehicle to put 300 lbs or more (hitch + scooter) on the rear anyway

as far as what to do with it while shopping, you can park a scooter pretty much wherever you can park a car. i don't really understand that question...??
Well, the only issue with buying one near school is that it's a college town. I've already looked, and they're aren't any that pique my interest (either too many miles or vintage, which I don't want). I'd also have to have my dad check it out because I don't want to be taken advantage of and it will go in his name. I guess I can get my parents to bring it down since we have a 4Runner.

I meant do you think it's safe to leave it at my apartment if I'm driving my car? However, I've looked up ways to lock a Vespa.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Well, the only issue with buying one near school is that it's a college town. I've already looked, and they're aren't any that pique my interest (either too many miles or vintage, which I don't want). I'd also have to have my dad check it out because I don't want to be taken advantage of and it will go in his name. I guess I can get my parents to bring it down since we have a 4Runner.

I meant do you think it's safe to leave it at my apartment if I'm driving my car? However, I've looked up ways to lock a Vespa.
depends on what the theft rate is around you. that said, there are tons of scooters street parked around here. so if you feel your neighborhood is as safe as an average NYC neighborhood then you're probably good

you can use heavy duty bike cable locks for a scooter. either lock it to itself or to something like a telephone pole or street sign (the latter is better). i used to do this on my motorcycle but eventually decided the hassle wasn't worth the low risk. i don't have an expensive bike. if i were you i'd buy something cheap and not worry about the theft. since you have a car too you don't even need anything highway worthy. if you want spend the extra money on a better helmet or something

FYI nothing will stop a determined thief. so if it's really going to bother you maybe don't get one... it's just too easy to load a scooter into a truck

IMO the best you can do is not present an attractive target (hence a cheap scooter) and maximize the hassle (they need to cut the cable, etc). there are a few bikes worth twice as much as mine parked on my block so i'm hoping if johnny theft ever comes by he takes one of them instead

another reason to get something cheap is vandalism. this actually is a much bigger concern than theft for me. i've had my moto tipped by punks and tapped hard by poor parallel parkers. NYC is probably worse than your neck of the woods in this way, but then again maybe you have drunken college students wandering around after parties

EDIT - did you also mean to leave for weeks at a time or something while you drive home for easter break or something? if you did that, i would try to find a friend's garage to put it in at those times. bikes/scooters left unattended in plain sight for a long time are very attractive targets

another think you might be able to do... does your apartment have a lot? if it does, and the spots line up against a wall, is park the scooter sideways in the front of the spot (closer to the wall) and then park your jetta in the rest of the spot. since it's a small car both will fit. reduces the chance of some idiot knocking it over and makes it harder to steal overnight. also leaves an extra spot for your neighbors. doesn't apply to parallel street parking though

Last edited by OdysseusNY; 10-23-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 06:19 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,159 times
Have you considered an electric bicycle? A lot easier to transport, and some go up to 20-25mph.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Average NYC neighborhood? I've had two motorcycles stolen in the past two years. One in front of a security guard, the other in a nice neighborhood. Just about any other place in the US is safer.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Average NYC neighborhood? I've had two motorcycles stolen in the past two years. One in front of a security guard, the other in a nice neighborhood. Just about any other place in the US is safer.
take a little trip across the hudson and try parking in irvington

sorry about your bikes though

Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 AM

No, it's not NY, it's a college town in the south.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
No, it's not NY, it's a college town in the south.
Funny how a thread can go off in a tangent for an unknown reason right?
I parked my scooter on the street. You should be fine.. Just get a cover..

Where I live now, scooters can be parked on sidewalk if it has a moped pic plate... Not sure about where you are

Old 10-26-2013, 07:53 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Depends. Have you contacted people at the college for their opinion? They'll know the area better. Depending on the off campus living, you may be able to bring it inside. How far off campus would you live? Wouldn't it be better to get a bicycle? Use the bike for school, use the car for errands and trips home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles