Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,014 times

Advertisements

Cleaner air.

No need for emissions tests.

A healthier citizenry. Something about being in a box on wheels that makes people prone to being fat.

Not as many costly repairs AND

You can get a new motorcycle for far less money than a new car which will usually set you back $20k atleast, sometimes more than that.

So why aren't there more motorcyclist than car riders in a world where it is constantly stressed to us the more money saved, the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:30 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Death. Anything that requires skill and results in death if you don't have that skill, isn't going to be a favorable/popular option.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
The roads will be significantly safer when autonomous driving and V2V technology are in full swing and traditional cars cars as well as motorcycles are relegated to museums and private roadways.

The points in the original post range from stupid to ridiculous. Motorcycles have nothing to do with health (apart from the significantly higher risk of fatality) as either way you're sitting on an object that is propelling you with near zero exertion on the drivers part.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Death. Anything that requires skill and results in death if you don't have that skill, isn't going to be a favorable/popular option.
You can die just by walking down a sidewalk from a gunshot from a addict. So.

Once you learn how to ride a motorcycle the safe way and not like a fool then they become no more dangerous than a car. Some people just don't want to ever learn how to ride one and so they would rather pretend its dangerous.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
You can die just by walking down a sidewalk from a gunshot from a addict. So.

Once you learn how to ride a motorcycle the safe way and not like a fool then they become no more dangerous than a car. Some people just don't want to ever learn how to ride one and so they would rather pretend its dangerous.
I'm fairly certain that statistically speaking a person has a far higher likelihood of being hurt or injured on a motorcycle than they do walking outside and being killed by a drug addict. There is no need to pretend its dangerous because it actually is more dangerous than driving a car. Even a great rider can get hit by an inattentive driver and in turn lose their life. My mother worked as a nurse for a long time at San Francisco General and she saw a significant number of individuals with motorcycle injuries involving death and paralysis.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of motorcycles, the engineering, design and look but I would be lying to myself if I said they were as safe as a car for my daily commute.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 04-14-2015 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,250 times
Maybe if everyone was required get their permit and license on a moped, driver's would have more respect for two or three wheeled vehicles. It's bad enough that people, talk, text on their phone , let alone shave and put make up on. Motorcycles are safe if you're vigilant and leave a lot of distance between you and the next vehicle. I ride daily and notice even among weekend riders the lack of respect for the bike, cars, and laws. I enjoy riding, but it's not for everyone but the most attentive drivers. I think riding a bike makes me a more aware driver in general. The odds are higher to get hit as a pedestrian than on a bike. Suburbs are designed for cars, cities are designed for people. Just my $0.02.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Cleaner air.
You do realize that motorcycles pollute a lot more than cars do right?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Not really a motorcycle offers less protection in all kinds of wrecks. Modern cars offer more and more protection. Most of the safety protection type advances are in wearable protection for motorcycles. Even wearing a good helmet would stop many brain injuries.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You do realize that motorcycles pollute a lot more than cars do right?
No way. Not for ninja bikes anyway.

Only Harley's really pollute like cars do.
I don't see how that's possible with a Kawasaki or Yamaha.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times
morons out there can barely drive...and you want them to ride??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles