Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times

Advertisements

Does it mean they were wrecked or build from existing parts? There's two 170i Genuine Buddys on Craigslist back here with salvage titles cheap. The ad says there would be no problem with registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 12:19 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Salvage title means exactly one thing, some insurance company "bought" the bike (paid out an insurance claim where they took possession).

The extent and type of damage can and does vary from "a scratch in the frame" to "bent into a pretzel". Some of the vehicles are absolutely road safe/simply cosmetic, most are either Obviously not road safe or in such a condition that it's not worth the ~$1000 to have a business like GMD Computrack check for straightness. Generally I avoid salvage titled vehicles for a number of reasons. The first is that they are nearly impossible to sell and Always fetch significantly less money when you do happen upon a potential buyer. The second is that when you're trusting your health/life on an inherently unstable vehicle, adding in an unknown variable can turn south Really quick, it's simply risk tolerance. And the last is that in some states you can not register a vehicle with a salvage title AND they don't offer an option to "rebuild" a salvage title. Also, some insurance companies will no longer allow anything but liability on previously salvage title vehicles.

They are good for one purpose, spares for a vehicle you already own. Well, some I've come across as so cheap that I went out and bought a non-salvage frame and swapped everything over to have a legal vehicle, but when counting labor, it really wasn't worth it (I tend to discount labor since I do all my own mechanic work).

Old 07-05-2015, 05:40 AM

Brian, don't you think those Buddys(not these ones) would be good for puttin' around town? Maybe short freeway trips too? For roughly $3600 out the door even I could live with that.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:54 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
I've bought salvage title vehicles many times but I will agree that you need to know a little about why they were salvaged. Are they flood recoveries? If so, I would avoid them. If I road it and anything seemed not right I would avoid it. "That's just the.........."

If it rides O.K. I'd buy one for the right price. You don't mention the year or anything so I have no idea how good of a value you are talking about. In most places as long as you have a title, even a salvage title there shouldn't be any problem in registering it.

If you keep it a long time the salvage issue doesn't become as big of an issue. If in ten years you could sell it for $700 as opposed to $1000 but you can save a good bit today, it makes it a good deal as long as you can verify why it's a salvage vehicle.

Stolen vehicles that the insurance companies pay off on that are later recovered will come with a salvage title many times also. There might not even be anything wrong with it.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,937 times
You need to know the details behind the salvage title. State Farm wrote off my Moto Guzzi after it blew over in a windstorm. Broke off one fin on the head, broke the brake lever and damaged a fairing. Total loss.

I'd be suspicious of a salvage vehicle that looked new. That could be flood damage.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've bought salvage title vehicles many times but I will agree that you need to know a little about why they were salvaged. Are they flood recoveries? If so, I would avoid them. If I road it and anything seemed not right I would avoid it. "That's just the.........."

If it rides O.K. I'd buy one for the right price. You don't mention the year or anything so I have no idea how good of a value you are talking about. In most places as long as you have a title, even a salvage title there shouldn't be any problem in registering it.

If you keep it a long time the salvage issue doesn't become as big of an issue. If in ten years you could sell it for $700 as opposed to $1000 but you can save a good bit today, it makes it a good deal as long as you can verify why it's a salvage vehicle.

Stolen vehicles that the insurance companies pay off on that are later recovered will come with a salvage title many times also. There might not even be anything wrong with it.
here they are:
https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcd/5055688644.html
GREAT CONDITION '13 Genuine Buddy 170i CC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles