Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 04:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at newer bikes , trying to pick out a fun reliable motorcycle for commuting and weekend rides.
I am usually a UJM person and prefer KZ's and CB's, but I am a fan of all standards and open to any suggestions on one. I like the 90s CB1000 if I could find one, and I love the look of the Eddie Lawson ZRX.
Does anyone have any info on how the new Triumph Bonneville stacks up , as far as cost of parts, repairs, and maintenance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 05:33 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Honda Nc700x DCT

Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Honda Nc700x DCT
I wouldn't consider that a standard. I also am not a fan of the way they look.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
The new Honda Rebel 500 has gotten good reviews:

Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 PM

I like the rebel, even though I dislike the seating position and the styling is too "cruiser".
I need more than the single seater and prefer something more than a small twin, though.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Hmm, I'd probably go T120/Thruxton R. Would I buy one? No. I'd get a Street Triple. Costs less, better bike, but as far as doing the retro-ey thing the Bonneville line is okay. Haven't been on the new one. Supposedly with the T120 the suspension and brakes are good enough for what the bike is supposed to do you don't immediately have to go out and replace them as was the case the previous model. I'm not sure if they ever fixed the fuel injection either. Problem with the old model is once you did the basically mandatory power commander and suspension and brake upgrades while you had a solid bike it also had gotten expensive enough to not really be attractive.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I've been looking at newer bikes , trying to pick out a fun reliable motorcycle for commuting and weekend rides.
I am usually a UJM person and prefer KZ's and CB's, but I am a fan of all standards and open to any suggestions on one. I like the 90s CB1000 if I could find one, and I love the look of the Eddie Lawson ZRX.
Does anyone have any info on how the new Triumph Bonneville stacks up , as far as cost of parts, repairs, and maintenance?
Adventure bikes are the new UJMs, in my mind. They do most things well, none exceptionally so. Top end includes the BMW R1200GS, Ducati Multi, and others from KTM and similar. Ride one across Africa as I did, or Europe, or Australia. Or the CONUS, I made it about half way and back the other year. A Multi Pike's Peak is my garage at-current.

Might want to take a look at a BMW S1000XR as perhaps the ultimate manifestation of a UJM street/sport/adventure bike, 2016 style (or whenever they came out), emphasis on the "sport" part. Seems pretty useful, to say the least, for something almost all on-road vs. off. The minute you're offroad, you'd pray for a big twin-something like my Multi or a GS.

Of course, I've thrashed the crap out of a '15 BMW R1200 GS on Western Cape roads, so anyone suggesting they're "slow" is probably on glue or something. Lots to be said for tradition.

YMMV.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
I couldn't be happier with my Yamaha FZ09. If you want a more coventional look, you could go with its brother, the XSR900.

Mike

Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
fun reliable motorcycle for commuting and weekend rides

Certainly depends on how far of a commute / ride you like to take.

<100 mile rides and a 20 mile commute I get pretty good service out of my STANDARD thumpers.
1875 - 1990 XT and TT 500's
(a friend rode his to Alaska several times!)

Can get 70 mpg + IF you can keep the throttle reasonable...
reliable?
no battery is a real plus. (I keep them in 3 states and fly around and ride them when the weather is conducive there. )
Magneto can be a plus
EZ to find parts (if you ever need any) I have needed very few in my 40+ yrs of owning / racing them
<300# Pack them around on the bumper of your SUV or campervan

Let sit for months / yrs and they fire on first kick

Collector value, (very cheap in USA <$1000) especially desired in Northern Europe and Australia . (XT rider clubs)
when you 'retire' from your real job...
Ship it there, ride till your visa expires, sell and pay for your whole trip!
https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...0-ar37550.html
http://classic-motorbikes.net/yamaha-xt500/
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...xT500%2080.htm

I also keep a few XS650's around for longer trips <$1000 also, very dependable and torquey

For ultimate economy I use my TL-250's (100+ mpg) (Good thing... they have a 0.8 gal tank and a VERY small seat!)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-05-2017 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 02:30 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
You can find a CB1000 or a ZRX easily if you're willing to have it shipped to you. Also, you can have a mechanic wherever the bike is located take a look at it to avoid buying a headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hmm, I'd probably go T120/Thruxton R. Would I buy one? No. I'd get a Street Triple. Costs less, better bike, but as far as doing the retro-ey thing the Bonneville line is okay.
I think the previous edition Bonneville had a good reputation for quality. The new ones are new, therefore need some history to to determine quality/reliability, especially since there's more electronic features on them. The Street Triple has a rep for being a ball to ride. They recently upped the cc's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Adventure bikes are the new UJMs, in my mind. They do most things well, none exceptionally so. Top end includes the BMW R1200GS, Ducati Multi, and others from KTM and similar. Ride one across Africa as I did, or Europe, or Australia. Or the CONUS, I made it about half way and back the other year. A Multi Pike's Peak is my garage at-current.

Might want to take a look at a BMW S1000XR as perhaps the ultimate manifestation of a UJM street/sport/adventure bike, 2016 style (or whenever they came out), emphasis on the "sport" part. Seems pretty useful, to say the least, for something almost all on-road vs. off. The minute you're offroad, you'd pray for a big twin-something like my Multi or a GS.
The ADV bike do seem like the new UJMs. I say the original UJM concept applied to modern bikes like the Honda CB1000R, Suzuki Bandit, Kawi Z1000, Suzuki GSX750, Yamaha FZ900, etc are better unless a person wants to ride alot on gravel roads, badly maintained roads, dirt roads, etc.

BMW and KTM bikes have not been reliable in recent times from what I've read. The BMW R1200GS breaks down a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I couldn't be happier with my Yamaha FZ09. If you want a more coventional look, you could go with its brother, the XSR900
They get great write ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles