Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 08:47 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

I’m not having a mid life life crisis (near 30) but I haven’t had a fun “car” in a long time. Motorcycles are out because I don’t want to get a motorcycle license and I find them a little too dangerous for my taste...plus it’s hard to really have a passenger. I want something that grabs attention, looks weird, fun to drive and doesn’t cost a fortune. That got me thinking about a Slingshot. I see slightly used models for around $15k. New ones for about $17k. Worst case scenario, if I don’t like it, I could probably sell it for $10k in a few years. Right? It also gets ~35mpg so I’m not spending a lot at the pump. It’s small enough to fit in my garage with two other cars in there.

I hear a lot of people bring up something like a used Miata...while likely a blast to drive, just too boring right now. Stuff like Corvettes, 350z, Mustangs, etc are way too common. I want a bit more “WTF”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
So buy one?

Seems like you've already figured out your wants and needs, not sure if you're asking permission? You will *not* be regarded as a motorcyclist though, those are 3-wheeled cars. Be careful though, some states still classify 3-wheeled vehicles as "motorcycles" and you will still need the MC endorsement to operate it.

I've seen a few in person, but Never the same one twice (and nearly always with dealer/temp plates). Sorta indicates to me that they become garage queens, something the owners Thought they'd use but don't. But I'm sure there's a forum dedicated to them out there somewhere with people who use them as their only means of transportation... you'll want to find Those people to ask about the vehicle. They are the ones who will know what breaks, the pitfalls of buying used, the Real value (might be $8k in a different region, with $1k shipping costs), etc... you need the enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
the slingshot has a single rear wheel for power. My guess is that the car is a potentially dangerous tail happy vehicle around curves since you only have 1 wheel for traction

Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
If I had real big money I might buy one, beat on it, sell it for a loss.

Otherwise it seems like a jet ski, fun to ride a couple times a year.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:34 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
the slingshot has a single rear wheel for power. My guess is that the car is a potentially dangerous tail happy vehicle around curves since you only have 1 wheel for traction
Uhuh, a guess only. You 'could' roll it over, but you have to be at a very high speed, very tight turn !

If there was only one wheel in the front, with two in the back, you have a point. It would easily roll over !

On the other hand (for the OP) That vehicle is still classified as a motor cycle, depending on the State you are in, so check in your area !

Old 11-27-2017, 07:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
from a operator safety viewpoint, they're not providing any more protection than a two-wheel motorcycle.

Prudent to wear motorcycling type safety gear and helmet when driving one of these.

Saw one on the road today in town and the driver was wearing the same kit I'd be wearing on my bikes.

In all candor ... these just don't appeal to me. I'd rather a proper 4-wheel small car, even if it was something on the order of an old Brit sports car ... Tri Spitfire, MG Sprigit, or similar with some of the available performance upgrades. Maybe a Morgan +4 with an engine upgrade. Or back to a motorcycle, still lovin' my Moto Scuzzi's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles