Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
bah. the complete and utter dominance of smart phones is the main cause in the drop in motorcycle ridership.

The riders who don't want their kids to be killed by a distracted driver and the millennial who prefers access to their smart phone over the freedom of 2 wheels.
yup! everytime I ride I see people on their phones all the time. and if I tell them something, I look like that bad one and all of the sudden bikers are a holes. so I just mind my business.

Everytime I ride I get worried some idiot is going to merge onto me quickly while she is on her phone with no blinkers.

High viz seems to help, but still it wont work for most drivers who are distracted. im not sure how cars can not see motorcyclist, to me, they stick out like a sore thumb because it is out of the ordinary.

but bunch of younger guys are being told 2 wheels are super dangerous. My parents told me you will kill yourself if you get one. Got one anyways and keep telling myself I cant be one of those statistics. I do anything in my power to drive super defensive and act like every car is going to merge onto me violently or do some kind of unpredictable U turn.

But too many phone zombies stuck in their phones are definitely killing this business and it is a shame. The freedom you have is unexplainable and i am willing to risk my life just to keep feeling it everyday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I disagree. It might bump sales up a bit, but nothing huge.

I don't know anyone who rides a motorcycle because it's efficient.

I did! kinda lol. I essentiall bought one to explore offroad trails in Colorado, now I daily ride it because...well.... 10$ a month in gas LOL. weird part is (not to brag or come off like a douche) i have no money issues and make plenty to not even care. people still buy it to save on gas no matter how much you make lol...and it is fun vs a car. even sitting in traffic

Old 01-21-2019, 03:00 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,166,420 times
Nobody has brought up the leading cause of bikes not being efficient and economical. TIRES. I have gone through a rear tire on some of my bikes in 5,000 miles or less. Some of the hot hands out there are lucky to get 3,000 miles on the racing machines. I just bought my F6B and I know full well it will be $500 or more for some place to install both tires. I'm not interested in wrenching the wheels off and saving a few bucks, although I have done it on all previous machines. So there ya go......still think 2 wheels are awesome and don't care about the cost......but don't say we didn't warn ya.........

Old 01-22-2019, 08:51 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Nobody has brought up the leading cause of bikes not being efficient and economical. TIRES. I have gone through a rear tire on some of my bikes in 5,000 miles or less. Some of the hot hands out there are lucky to get 3,000 miles on the racing machines. I just bought my F6B and I know full well it will be $500 or more for some place to install both tires. I'm not interested in wrenching the wheels off and saving a few bucks, although I have done it on all previous machines. So there ya go......still think 2 wheels are awesome and don't care about the cost......but don't say we didn't warn ya.........
As a high school kid I worked at a golf course. I planned on getting a bike to save money, the assistant pro gave me a quick run down on how a performance bike is not going to save me anything!

He was right, I didn't buy a bike

Old 01-24-2019, 09:59 AM

529 posts, read 491,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
You could always go to the dark side, and install car tires on that bike....

Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
After many years I'm ready to throw in the towel on riding my motorcycle. Too many close calls with people running stop signs/lights. The texting issue is a real problem. I enjoy a ride out in the country but I still need to navigate heavy traffic areas (and poorly maintained roads) to get there. Some of the highways have huge seam cracks and numerous several inch-deep potholes. It makes lane changing and avoidance dicey at times even with a larger size tire on a tour bike.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:58 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If either of you had spoken to a millennial lately you'd know that they aren't that interested in anything with a motor. They're especially uninterested in something with a manual transmission.

How exactly are you using the word 'efficient'? Motorcycles aren't really that efficient for what they are.

If you're using it strictly to mean high mpg then why ride anything bigger than a 50cc moped?
Honda makes a range of DCT motorcycles which are automatic and work well.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:03 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,720 times
[quote="Silverwing replacement" used to be what, the 800 Pacific Coast? They were amusing, wouldn't go over maybe 85mph w/o becoming semi-stable, but crazy good mileage. Buddy of mine rode a Silverwing for years and loved it, until replacing in 1991 with a then-new BMW K bike. Honda does not have a mild twin anymore, medium displacement? Market must have died for that. I'd buy a Suzuki Bergman, if still around, in that case.[/QUOTE]

Your friend could purchase a Honda Integra or Honda X-ADV or Yamaha TMAX in other markets. Just not here in the US. I have owned a Silverwing and Burgman 400 and 650. Or a Honda NC750x

Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
I've owned many motorcycles and am the first to admit they are nothing more than dangerous adult toys. If the current generation isn't buying them it's not a crisis to solve, manufacturers will just have to find something else to sell or close their doors. Thinking advertising is the key is huge denial.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Honda makes a range of DCT motorcycles which are automatic and work well.
Bleh, Im considered a millenian and whenever I've been shopping for a bike, I only look at manuals. Autos just don't feel right to me, missing the clutch and shifter. I prefer autos in my cars, to be sure...but my bike needs to have a 6 speed. My current Ducati has a quick shifter so I don't need to pull the clutch if I'm in the mood, but I still gotta go through the gears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles