Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times

Advertisements

With it FREEZING outside,I thought it might be nice to share our plans for summer fun on back of our bikes/scooters.

I have been coast to coast and border to border many times over working,moving or just bumming around,but one trip has eluded me for some reason or the other and I hope to rectify that situation this summer...My wife,daughter and I are planning to ride to the headwaters of the Mississippi river this summer....I think it will be a pretty cool ride because I'm not that far from the river anyway and we were wanting to follow it all of the way north.....As near as I can figure, it's around 2000 miles round trip ...We intend to round trip it in 8 days just easing along and stopping to site see,but we are allowing two weeks just in case we find a cool place or two to hang out for a couple of days to let the kid swim and fish.

What trips do you guys/gals have planned?? I'd love to hear them to knock the chill of the day off

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_par...sca/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
We did have a couple of long ones planned. From Florida to Stirgus was one but then life happened....

Son's being deployed in August and new grandbaby due in April. Those two events tend to eat up vacation days.

Luckily we live where we can ride year round and get a lot of weekend trips in.

Muleskinner, you've got a pretty area up there. I grew up along the Illinois side of the Illinois river and spent a lot of time in So Illinois.

We've got BikeWeek and a few other things coming up that will have to do for this year. We always take the long way where ever we go.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
With it FREEZING outside,I thought it might be nice to share our plans for summer fun on back of our bikes/scooters.

I have been coast to coast and border to border many times over working,moving or just bumming around,but one trip has eluded me for some reason or the other and I hope to rectify that situation this summer...My wife,daughter and I are planning to ride to the headwaters of the Mississippi river this summer....I think it will be a pretty cool ride because I'm not that far from the river anyway and we were wanting to follow it all of the way north.....As near as I can figure, it's around 2000 miles round trip ...We intend to round trip it in 8 days just easing along and stopping to site see,but we are allowing two weeks just in case we find a cool place or two to hang out for a couple of days to let the kid swim and fish.

What trips do you guys/gals have planned?? I'd love to hear them to knock the chill of the day off

Itasca State Park: Minnesota DNR
Sounds fabulous! Do you plan to camp or motel along the way, and will y'all be on motorcycles?

Mid-March: Ensenada, Mexico & northern Baja for 2-3 weeks! Although gonna be a bit of a "woosie" about it (strictly in the interests of "my better half"...) and trailer the bike down, so we can ride around and explore when we get there.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Sounds fabulous! Do you plan to camp or motel along the way, and will y'all be on motorcycles?

Mid-March: Ensenada, Mexico & northern Baja for 2-3 weeks! Although gonna be a bit of a "woosie" about it (strictly in the interests of "my better half"...) and trailer the bike down, so we can ride around and explore when we get there.
We'll be on a Valkyrie Interstate and a Suzuki Burgman 400.....I hope we get to camp one night and motel the next.I don't know why I haven't tried this before because I've been all over the state,just haven't followed the river north...I hear it is beautiful up there

MAN...Ensenada....I wish I had my old XR650L and was getting to go with you,THAT is a trip

Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
We did have a couple of long ones planned. From Florida to Stirgus was one but then life happened....

Son's being deployed in August and new grandbaby due in April. Those two events tend to eat up vacation days.

Luckily we live where we can ride year round and get a lot of weekend trips in.

Muleskinner, you've got a pretty area up there. I grew up along the Illinois side of the Illinois river and spent a lot of time in So Illinois.

We've got BikeWeek and a few other things coming up that will have to do for this year. We always take the long way where ever we go.
Yes KG,it is really nice down here and the area I happen to live in is quite hilly and sparsely populated....go 15-20 miles and it's got everything you need and all the traffic you can stand

Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Every year I plan a long trip, every year something comes up and ends it, this year our company has been bought out so no telling what will happen, me and a friend want to tour the gold country but we both work at the same plant and we are short handed and on call all the time so we can't get the time off together, I'm hopeing after the change over things will work out better.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,645 times
Our trip this summer will be from mid-maine west through the white mtns of new hampshire and green mtns of vermont, then south to MA and springfield. We will spend two days getting to MA and then two visiting Six Flags New England. Return trip will be west to new york, north through the adirondacks, then back east through northern vermont and new hampshire to maine again. Figure on spending a week. Must stay in hotels as the wife refuses camping on the bikes.

I have been throughout new england, but my wife hasn't driven her bike more than 150 miles from home. SHould be quite and experience.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,439 times
Our "big" vacation this year will be a guided motorcycle tour through Wisconsin and Minnesota around Lake Superior. We also do a long weekend trip every year to Lake Ontario/Sodus Point, NY. Thinking about these trips is what helps keep my sanity- and minimize the PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome).

Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Houston to Indy again for the GP.

Took the Natchez Trace last year, probably go through the backwoods of Arkansas this year.

And hoping for no hurricanes.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,981 times
Kali's grandma I know what you mean. I have two of four grand daughters very close to me and I try to spend as much time as them as I can.
I would be Heaven to be able to ride year round!! We are down south of Orlando for a few weeks and just drove down to below Tampa to meet with some guys from my group in IN. Eight of us went out to lunch and to one of the couple's place for dessert. It was a fun day to catch up with them. Six or seven of the guys are down here about six months a year. Most of them have another bike down here and ride a lot.
We talked today about trips we would like to make as a group this summer...nothing was really decided but I hope they come up with some ideas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles