Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 PM

18,486 posts, read 15,287,866 times

Advertisements

I was looking for something I could take apart and put back together without having to deal with computerized fuel injection and dynos and the like, when I stumbled on this 1970 XLCH, with original paint, and bone stock original EVERYTHING, right down to the 40 year old tires. It only has 3900 miles on it too. It runs well. The exhaust is a little quieter than I expected. Yes, I know it is purple, but that actually makes it more period accurate, so I dont mind. I cleaned it up on the outside, and now I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can take it apart and clean it on the inside too. It's a real piece of history, so I wont be making any modifications. It even has the factory inspection dot sticker still on it.

It looks like it hasnt been inspected in a while.

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,878,679 times
I love it. I had a 1970 XLCH exactly like it. At least the same color.
I had that color from the factory. My seat was the first thing to go. I had a spring loaded solo seat from my 1969 XLCH and I put a P-Pad on the rear fender.

I see someone added a center stand to yours and the crash bars. Two things you might want to check is the brace on your oil tank. On some of the early numbers that year the chain would catch on the triangle shaped brace on the bottom side of the oil tank. Another thing that gave me grief was the rear brake rod. At certain speeds it would vibrate and short out on one of the brake stop light wires that ran down to the stoplight switch. If I remember correctly I had some issues with the voltage regulator. I switched out to a modified Bomar magneto and eliminated the battery so I had the same system that my 1969 did basically. I hated the stock points distributor on the stocker. The retrofit to that Bomar magneto was worth it.

If you have the stock Tillotson carb remember it has an accelerator pump on it.Tweak the throttle too much before kicking the engine and you will flood it. You are right it is very easy to work on. I replaced every nut and bolt I could with aircraft bolts with Allen heads on them. A pair of pliers, a crescent wrench and an Allen wrench and I could fix just about anything that didn't require splitting the cases.

I blueprinted mine, put a set of S&S 4-5/8" stroker flywheels and a 3-1/4" set of Dytch barrels plus different heads and cams . 10-1/2 to 1 pistons. A custom built two tube manifold with dual Tillotsons fed it juice. It was 77 cubic inches of pure fun. I loved that bike!. I had it for eight years and I enjoyed every second of it.

I envy you,

GL2

Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
Wow, that's a beautiful old bike! I like the color. One seldom sees a front tire like that these days!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,552,856 times
Very cool bike! congrats!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,395,841 times
Oh man! I graduated from high school in 1969. I can remember the early Sportsters. They were THE thing for my more serious biker friends. I rode a white Honda Dream in 1970. I could only dream of riding your new (old) bike.

In my town, I knew 3 guys who all had different bikes. A Norton, BSA and Triumph. Everyone else I knew had Honda's. They were cheap and good on gas. The only Harley riders I knew at the time were from the biker gangs. Or, wanna be biker gang, influenced. Lots of leather, chaps and boots.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:40 PM

18,486 posts, read 15,287,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I love it. I had a 1970 XLCH exactly like it. At least the same color.
I had that color from the factory. My seat was the first thing to go. I had a spring loaded solo seat from my 1969 XLCH and I put a P-Pad on the rear fender.

I see someone added a center stand to yours and the crash bars. Two things you might want to check is the brace on your oil tank. On some of the early numbers that year the chain would catch on the triangle shaped brace on the bottom side of the oil tank. Another thing that gave me grief was the rear brake rod. At certain speeds it would vibrate and short out on one of the brake stop light wires that ran down to the stoplight switch. If I remember correctly I had some issues with the voltage regulator. I switched out to a modified Bomar magneto and eliminated the battery so I had the same system that my 1969 did basically. I hated the stock points distributor on the stocker. The retrofit to that Bomar magneto was worth it.

If you have the stock Tillotson carb remember it has an accelerator pump on it.Tweak the throttle too much before kicking the engine and you will flood it. You are right it is very easy to work on. I replaced every nut and bolt I could with aircraft bolts with Allen heads on them. A pair of pliers, a crescent wrench and an Allen wrench and I could fix just about anything that didn't require splitting the cases.

I blueprinted mine, put a set of S&S 4-5/8" stroker flywheels and a 3-1/4" set of Dytch barrels plus different heads and cams . 10-1/2 to 1 pistons. A custom built two tube manifold with dual Tillotsons fed it juice. It was 77 cubic inches of pure fun. I loved that bike!. I had it for eight years and I enjoyed every second of it.

I envy you,

GL2
It is the Tillotson carb, so thanks for the tip.
The crash bars and drag pipes are original factory upgrades, as is the seat, so I wont lose any points on judging. The center stand was added later, so I may have to remove it for competition, but I am not even sure about that. I have been scouring the Antique Motorcycle Club of America forum to get a better idea of what the judges may ding me for.

My timing is terrible though. I can count on salty roads for the next 3 or 4 months, so I wont be taking this bike out until I know it is all clear. I'll ride the 2009 instead until then.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:47 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,774,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Oh man! I graduated from high school in 1969. I can remember the early Sportsters. They were THE thing for my more serious biker friends. I rode a white Honda Dream in 1970. I could only dream of riding your new (old) bike.

In my town, I knew 3 guys who all had different bikes. A Norton, BSA and Triumph. Everyone else I knew had Honda's. They were cheap and good on gas. The only Harley riders I knew at the time were from the biker gangs. Or, wanna be biker gang, influenced. Lots of leather, chaps and boots.
I had a 1966 red Honda Dream and used to take front fender off and mufflers to sound cooooolllll. I was only 14 but had fun. Wish I still had the Dream though.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
A centerstand should be standard equipment on any bike, especially chain-driven ones. Just my opinion.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,878,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
A centerstand should be standard equipment on any bike, especially chain-driven ones. Just my opinion.
They sure do make it easier to work on things and I never heard of anyone driving off with their center stand down and making a left hand corner LOL.

GL2

Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
my ambition is to buy an non working one, put it on a small trailer polish it to death & tow it everywhere, and then pose in front of restaurants all day like the other weekend riders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles