Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times

Advertisements

For me it comes down to this (this assumes costs and weights come down to be roughly equal to gas-powered equivalents):

Advantages:
--single "gear" -- no clutch work, downshifting, upshifting
--quiet -- going for a ride at 1:00am wouldn't upset my neighbors or attract undue attention
--low maintenance -- oil changes, valve adjustments, FI syncs, etc. would be things of the past
--no gas station trips
--great torque characteristics

Disadvantages:
--range is limited -- say 30 to 100 miles
--recharge times are long -- 2 to 8 hours usually
--quiet -- with earplugs in to block wind noise, can't hear what the engine is doing, also not as noticeable to cager traffic
--low "rev limit" prevents high horsepower output despite impressive torque figures

I know there are other advantages and disadvantages, but these are the ones that stick out for me. Based on this, I don't think one will replace my primary motorcycle soon, but it would make a wonderful commuter and runabout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
That's a pretty good assessment, although the 'low maintenance' has yet to be proven. No battery lasts indefinitely, and I'll bet an electric bike would have a pricey one. Also, my motorcycle is quiet enough for me to go for a late-night ride without bothering anyone. Most bikes are only loud if one makes them so.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
I don't buy that "not as noticeable to 'cager traffic'"

Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy. When pipes are echoing off of buildings on a busy street you can't figure out quickly where the bike is.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Okay, I'll agree with that, but when the bike is completely silent you may not even be aware there is a bike at all.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
If one has to depend on others hearing a bike for protection, he's in a lot of trouble. But I installed an air horn on a bike I used to have, and it saved my bacon a couple of times.

One simply has to ride as if he is invisible (or at least beneath consideration). The operative question: "What can that vehicle possibly do to hurt me?" and figure out an evasive action in case it happens. Then look out!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:54 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If one has to depend on others hearing a bike for protection, he's in a lot of trouble. But I installed an air horn on a bike I used to have, and it saved my bacon a couple of times.

One simply has to ride as if he is invisible (or at least beneath consideration). The operative question: "What can that vehicle possibly do to hurt me?" and figure out an evasive action in case it happens. Then look out!

Actually, the first mod I did on the V Star 950 I bought a few months ago was to go buy a Fiamm's Freeway Blaster horn from O'Reilly's auto parts. It plugged in directly to the existing wiring and now gives a nice loud horn sound instead of a "meep meep".

I've caught a few cars off guard when they started merging into my lane on the interstate. A real horn is a good thing to have.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM

136 posts, read 424,211 times
Yeah ,going for a ride a 1AM,pushing it back at 2AM !

Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM

The Inside Story of the MotoCzysz E1pc, the World's Most Advanced Electric Motorcycle | Popular Science

Stunning!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Where do you carry the extension cord?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 PM

660 posts, read 1,654,618 times
Personally, at least for now, I see no real purpose in having an electric bike.

They have to be recharged frequently and the time to do that is long.

It's not as if motorcycles aren't already economical to operate and fuel misers.

As a matter of fact, I often wonder when someone is discussing a new bike why they bother asking what type of fuel economy they get. Obviously, they are all better than any car or truck AND people rarely ever DON'T have a cage of some type to drive in bad weather. So, the bike is more of a secondary vehicle that you buy with more disposable income in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles