Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times

Advertisements

I went and saw this movie friday night and It just didn't do it for me. The old ones are of course better. But Robert Englund WAS Freddy.

The older ones were funny in a way at times. It seemed like Freddy had something sarcastic to say before/after he killed his victims. But Freddy just didn't seem like Freddy in the new one. Seemed like his character had a changed a bit.

What did you think of the movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
I haven't seen it yet myself. I must admit I wasn't thrilled about the remake since the first two Nightmares were very scary to me. The others became a bit too campy. And I don't think anyone could touch Robert Englund as Freddy.

I do know someone who saw it this weekend and he said the original was still the best but Haley came pretty darn close to Englund.

I won't spend the money to see it in the theatre so I will have to wait until PPV I guess.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM

491 posts, read 1,045,938 times
I give it a thumb up for all the times I jumped in my seat, but a thumb down for the choppy way it was put together. I was 9yrs old when I first saw the original and I can still remember the sheer terror I felt after the movie was over. The last time I saw the original was maybe 4yrs ago and even now that I'm older and I know its just a movie, the way the story line flows together still sucks me in, and allows me to believe the four characters and what they're experiencing with Freddy.

With the new one, it was one scene cutting to the next, to the next, to the next. It was very choppy to me and not believable. I was also diappointed with the parts of the movie that directly come from the first: the glove in the bathtub, Freddy coming out of the wall in Nancy's room, Tina's death, etc... In the new movie, they almost sort of teased you with it, for lack of a better explanation. One minute it was there, and the very next second it was gone. Like it wasnt even on screen long enough for you to process it, does that make sense?

Anyone else?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
Default Chain Letter movie

If Freddy Krueger disappointed you in Nightmare on Elm Street, I think the Chain Man will do a much better job. Who's the Chain Man, you're probably all wondering, right? Well guys, meet the new super villain in Deon Taylor's upcoming horror flick called Chain Letter. If you like gorry movies that just makes you jump out of your seats, then this movie is definitely for you. Check out the full trailer at www.chainletter.com or go to Deon Taylor Enterprises

Lemme know what you think of the movie. Thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadatski View Post
If Freddy Krueger disappointed you in Nightmare on Elm Street, I think the Chain Man will do a much better job. Who's the Chain Man, you're probably all wondering, right? Well guys, meet the new super villain in Deon Taylor's upcoming horror flick called Chain Letter. If you like gorry movies that just makes you jump out of your seats, then this movie is definitely for you. Check out the full trailer at www.chainletter.com or go to Deon Taylor Enterprises

Lemme know what you think of the movie. Thanks
If you are going to spam the forums atleast learn how to link properly apu from india.

Anyways I was annoyed with the new freddies voice from the trailers so i decided not to see it. From what I hear, im glad I didnt pay for the movie.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM

64 posts, read 105,710 times
I am not going to watch it. Wes Craven's original was in a different league to any of the follow ups other than the ones he did himself, so I can't see how this new one will match up. Craven's work on Scream was outstanding too...the guy knows how to put together a film and while I don't watch much horror, his films are a cut above the rest IMO.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,021 times
I thought it was good. It was very jumpy and while I felt that the beginning was creepier than the second half of the movie overall it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be based on what I'd read.

Jackie Earle Haley was eerie as Freddy and put in a good performance. I didn't like Thomas Dekker (Jesse) as much as I thought I would. I'm too used to him being nice like he was in Heroes or The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Rooney Mara did a good job was Nancy and brought some intelligence to the role. The others did pretty good jobs as well.

I would recommend it to fans of the original, even though I feel it did not incorporate enough modern touches in the dream sequences.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
It was decent but it seemed to lag at parts.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
I saw it opening day and would give it an "eh". I think it was pretty pontless to remake the original, other than most kids today will not watch "old" movies.

I like JEH as an actor, and if the was playing a burned up killer who was NOT Freddie, he would have been great. But he just dosn't have the fun, evil mirth that RE's Freddie had, all his one liners (and way too many of those) fell flat.

I thought the production was very good, but it was always to dull and dark, there was really no contrast between reality and dream. Also the gore/FX were unimpressive.

Story wise, it was just like the 1st, only a few additions. The idea that Freddie the man was innocent was intiging, but it was just a red herring. I really liked the youtube bit, an obvious nod to PARANORMAL.

To recap, why remake this movie? Pointless. Rent, don't buy JMO

Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
The idea that Freddie the man was innocent was intiging, but it was just a red herring.
Please use the Show/Hide button when detailing crucial plot points so as to not give it away to people who haven't seen the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies