Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,843 times

Advertisements

I'm a classic-movie/TCM Channel junkie and proud of it. And since it's "Oscar Day", let's find out who your favorite actors and actresses from Hollywood's Golden Age are. They can be either big stars or character actors; doesn't matter, just as long as they're the ones you always enjoy watching regardless of what movie it is! Mine are:

Actors:
#1 - James Stewart
#2 - Cary Grant
#3 - Spencer Tracy
#4 - Robert Mitchum
#5 - Cecil Kellaway and Charles Laughton (honestly, a tie, so I'm listing both!)

Actresses:
#1 - Katharine Hepburn
#2 - Myrna Loy
#3 - Carole Lombard
#4 - Angela Lansbury
#5 - Eve Arden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,335,304 times
Love old movies! Favorites--

Actors--
Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Henry Fonda.

Actresses--
Katharine Hepburn, Maureen O'Hara, Myrna Loy.

Dancers--
Fred Astaire (best dancer ever!), Ginger Rogers and Vera Ellen (don't think she ever got the credit she deserved.)

Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
From old school Hollywood, some of my faves would be:
Actors:
Clark Gable (He was The King! Just how I like 'em, tall, dark, handsome, self-deprecating, occasionally a slight air of danger)
Jimmy Stewart (loved the voice, the lankiness, the boyishness)
Gregory Peck (he *was* Atticus Finch)
Actresses:
Katherine Hepburn (loved her the most in comedies, enjoyed her wearing of pants, I liked the fact that she enjoyed working so much, right till the end)
Audrey Hepburn (she was so elegant yet did not take herself too seriously--loved Roman Holiday)
Marilyn Monroe (a candle in the wind, her depth and earnestness were genuine and endearing)

Old 02-25-2007, 11:30 AM

53 posts, read 489,863 times
Default AMC and TCM are the best!

1. John Wayne
2. Robert Montgomery
3. Cary Grant
4. Humphrey Bogart
5. Jimmy Stewart
6. Clark Gable
7. Bob Hope
8. Gary Cooper
9. William Holden
10. Frank Sinatra
11. Richard Widmark
12. Robert DeNiro
13. Ward Bond
14. William Powell
15. Gene Hackman

1. Maureen O'Hara
2. Myrna Loy
3. Lucille Ball
4. Donna Reed
5. Susan Hayward
6. Thelma Ritter
7. Judy Holliday
8. Marie Anderson
9. Olivia de Havilland
10. Ingrid Bergman
11. Grace Kelly
12. Audrey Hepburn
13. Angela Landsbury
14. Ann Bancroft
15. Barbara Stanwyck

Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 AM

702 posts, read 2,526,085 times
Do they have to be classic actors? I had some more current 'greats' to contribute - and there are some current greats - but it looked like maybe the originator was looking for past greats...

Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,670,115 times
Yes, TCM all the way. I would be happy with a TV that just got that channel.

An actor who interests me is Lawrence Harvey. He's in "The Manchurian Candidate", one of my top 5 movies of all time; also, he made a picture with Liz Taylor called "Butterfield 8", which he was good in, but I didn't like so well. The only other thing I saw him in was a Columbo episode he made, which was interesting. Sadly, he died while still quite young, of cancer. What else did he do?

Speaking of Columbo....ever see the one where the murder victim is a chef? It's not a very good one, all the goofing around with all the dead guys chef friends feeding Columbo kind of distracts from the story. The interesting thing is the director...unless there are two directors named Jonathan Demme, that is.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,670,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Katherine Hepburn (loved her the most in comedies, enjoyed her wearing of pants, I liked the fact that she enjoyed working so much, right till the end)
Audrey Hepburn (she was so elegant yet did not take herself too seriously--loved Roman Holiday)
If you ever read "Me", one of Kate Hepburn's autobio's, there's a photo of her in there of her riding a skateboard when she was like 80. It's priceless.

I also loved "Roman Holiday." What's interesting to me, and likely not news to you, is that the actual screen writer was the blacklisted "Hollywood Ten" guy, Dalton Trumbo.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:33 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times
Audrey Hepburn
Lauren Bacall
Gene Kelly (made me want to be a pro dancer)
Fred Astaire

Old 03-02-2007, 05:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,644,210 times
I have a large collection of old movies, and much prefer them to the junk out today. Loved those Doris Day comedies! And do really like Angela Lansbury, she was in a really sweet movie, Shell Seekers, I think in the 90s. Then of course the murder mystery series, should get those!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,396 times
Humphrey Bogart (gangster movie roles - like The Big Shot, San Quentin or Angels with Dirty Faces)
James Cagney (gangster movie roles - like White Heat , Angels with Dirty Faces and The Roaring Twenties)
Edward G Robinson (gangster movie roles - like Little Caesar, The Last Gangster and Key Largo)

There is a lot of overlap in my three favorite actors

Jimmy Stewart - (any western he was ever in!)
Audie Murphy - (To Hell and Back - or any war movie he was ever in!)
Carry Grant - (anything he did)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies