Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times

Advertisements

Meh, he hasn't been behind anything worthwhile in decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lucas is probably out trying to drum up interest in the flick and isn't afraid to play the "race card".
He may or may not be playing the race card. The bottom line is that the movie looks like it sucks and the material isn't novel.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
An interesting project, I think, would be a movie about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The movie "Boycott" was decent (and Jeffrey Wright is fantastic in most things, imo), but I'd like to see a more intimate portrait of his life on the big screen. It would probably take about ten years to complete because you'd have everyone from Tupac's mother to Michael Eric Dyson telling the directors what material to include or exclude (like his affairs, for instance). And after it released, you'd still have a band of critics ripping it apart because the movie didn't reflect the view of King portrayed in the books/articles of 7,261 different African American Studies scholars across the nation.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,472,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is typical pandering to a particular group.

I hate movies like this.

Then ones like the blind side, Invictus blah blah blah..... what is it with these film makers that they try to extoll a particular racial group. Are they trying to make them feel better?? Something of a tolerant saint syndrome.

I now need a movie about Chinese laundry folks from the 1890s. I'd cast Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu and that scott pilgrim Asian chick, so she can have a pull with the Asian youth
Totally agree with you.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,472,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. They can make as many movies as they like about whatever topic, I've seen some great stuff on the History Channel and Military Channel Re: Tuskeegee Airmen and they are a truly inspiring group.

I was merely pointing out that the story has been made into movie before but here we are in 2012 and Lucas had to fight *racism* to get it made.

Race-baiting to sell tickets.....maybe if he could still make good movies he wouldn't have to stoop so low.

well said.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
This is typical pandering to a particular group.

I hate movies like this.

Then ones like the blind side, Invictus blah blah blah..... what is it with these film makers that they try to extoll a particular racial group. Are they trying to make them feel better?? Something of a tolerant saint syndrome.

I now need a movie about Chinese laundry folks from the 1890s. I'd cast Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu and that scott pilgrim Asian chick, so she can have a pull with the Asian youth
They're trying to make history available to those, such as yourself, who know nothing about what really happened in this country.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
well, when you talk about the African American experience in WWII, people always talk about the Tuskegee Airmen of course, but there were other black units too you know. There was an all black tank unit, the 761st tank battalion nicknamed "The Black Panthers". Even Patton himself didn't have much faith in them, he thought that black guys just couldn't think fast enough, but they proved him wrong. Why doesn't George Lucas make a movie about them? I guess being a ground pounding tank gunner just isn't as spectacular as being a hot shot fly boy.
Inshallah, I will. And the Red Ball drivers of the ETO. And the black road builders of Nagaland in Burma-China-India. And the Harlem Hellfighters from all the way back in World War I.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Also becoz that would re-open debate about Patton, who is a "saint" Well, rightly so. Patton's a real hero. But you know the kind of saint syndrome games Hollywooders come up with. A bunch of self-deluded idiots with their own fanciful versions of peace, love and harmony in society
Once Patton got used to having the 761st, here's the speech he gave them when they joined his Third Army in battle:

"Men, you're the first Negro tankers to ever fight in the American Army. I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I have nothing but the best in my Army. I don't care what color you are as long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of *******. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all your race is looking forward to your success. Don't let them down and damn you, don't let me down!"

Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
And well muscled and clean-cut, like soldiers back then had all the time in the world for protein shakes and abs.

I run into US marines/vets/servicemen in real life, all the time. They are humble, ordinary and down to earth dudes. Not really the Ben Affleck, Josh Duhamel types

He could have produced it and got Tyler Perry to make this one, with a Whitney Houston/Usher soundtrack LOL.
They were very fit, especially the elite of the elite such as the Tuskegee Airmen.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well Felix, that's what happened back then--as well as the film being a dramatization.

Antler guy, there are SOME humble and down to earth people in the military--but your statement, if generalizing the whole of military forces from the United States, is completely wrong.
In addition to his idiotic characterizations of African Americans in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies