Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,191,581 times

Advertisements

What are some movies you know that are the only good movie made by its star? Films in which the role so closely matches the actor's persona that the movie is a success, not necessarily commercially, but artistically.

Here are two of my favorites...

Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) starring Madonna in her best and only good movie. And it's really good. "Susan" is a perfect role for her and she plays it with charm and wit. When people list all Ms Ciccone's movies and include how bad they are, they never include this film which is great!

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990) starring Andrew Dice Clay. This is a great film and the Diceman's Ford Fairlane is superb. Credit to the director Renny Harlin for a stylish visual feast. I don't know if this is the only film for Wayne Newton, but his corrupt Julian Grendel is a treat. He is _so_ good! This film has has Hitchcockian twists and turns - don't drink too much when you're enjoying it or you'll get confused

YouTube - Andrew Dice Clay Ford Fairlane 2

Both of these films have great soundtracks. Crank it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,712 times
The Bodyguard-((one of my favorites)
Urban Cowboy-((second favorite))

Never got RAVE reviews but they are good, none the least!!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:40 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,930 times
Desperately Seeking Susan is a great pick -- I remember seeing that and thinking that Madonna was gonna have a great acting career ahead of her . . . guess it was not to be.

In the male category, I'd have to go with Charlie Sheen in Platoon.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,009 times
Default Over the edge

Over the edge ( Matt Dillons 1st movie & a true story)

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,786 times
Born Yesterday (1950) - IMDb ~ Over time, Judy Holliday has become known for this film, an Oscar-winning role for her. She had other relatively successful films, but this Best Actress role generally is the only one remembered.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - IMDb ~ Louise Fletcher is fated to be Nurse Ratched for the majority of people who likely couldn't name another of her movies. Again, it meant an Oscar win for her. (Personally; She's so funny as the Ingrid Bergman-inspired character in "The Cheap Detective"!)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) - IMDb ~ Does the average person know any other Phoebe Cates movie? Or, will she be forever known as the girl in the red bikini?
Amadeus (1984) - IMDb ~ Academy Awards do not always lead to success and fame. Just ask Best Actor winner F. Murray Abraham and his fellow Best Actor nominee Thomas (Tom) Hulce.
The Lost Weekend (1945) - IMDb ~ Ray Milland has said that, when he made this film, he knew that it would be the pinnacle of his career and that he would never top it. He won the Best Actor Oscar and never did match that success. True, he is noted for some cultish films ("X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes", "Frogs" and "The Thing with Two Heads"), but "TLW" remains THE Ray Milland film.

There isn't always much expectation for child actors. Each of these is remembered (if at all) for one performance:
The Bad Seed (1956) - IMDb ~ Patty McCormack / I've heard so many people say, "What a shame she didn't do other films", not realizing that she is still an actress and has been working throughout the years.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - IMDb ~ Cary Guffey / Again, many believe he was in one film.
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) - IMDb ~ Justin Henry / Ditto! AND, he was nominated for an Oscar~Best Actor in a Supporting Role~at that time, the youngest nominee for a competitive award in Academy Award history.

I agree with "Desperately Seeking Susan". I recall people, including me, believing she had great roles in her future. Nothing else seems to stand out like this "sleeper" hit, not even her landing the lead in "Evita".

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 268,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Desperately Seeking Susan is a great pick -- I remember seeing that and thinking that Madonna was gonna have a great acting career ahead of her . . . guess it was not to be.

In the male category, I'd have to go with Charlie Sheen in Platoon.
Platoon was a great movie, but not Charlie Sheen's only good movie. Doesn't anybody remember Hot Shots Part Dux? Seriously though, I thought his character in Platoon stood out, but so does his character in Major League. Wild Thing!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990) starring Andrew Dice Clay. This is a great film and the Diceman's Ford Fairlane is superb. Credit to the director Renny Harlin for a stylish visual feast. I don't know if this is the only film for Wayne Newton, but his corrupt Julian Grendel is a treat. He is _so_ good! This film has has Hitchcockian twists and turns - don't drink too much when you're enjoying it or you'll get confused

YouTube - Andrew Dice Clay Ford Fairlane 2
One of my top 10 favorite movies Snapahead!....lol

One of the best scenes is when Ed O'Neil aka Lt. Amos confronts Ford Fairlaine after Gilbert Godfried's character Johnny Crunch gets killed at the radio station...

Ford Fairlane: Nice tie, Lt. Anus, sir.

Lt. Amos: Are you calling me an a**hole, a**hole?

Ford Fairlane: I'm calling you an anus, anus. But, if you prefer.

Lt. Amos: Get tha f*ck outta here..

Last edited by Frank Dux; 01-30-2013 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,825 times
"Under Siege" was Steven Seagal's one good movie, thanks in large part to Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey as the bad guys, but all the rest of his movies were crap

Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
"Under Siege" was Steven Seagal's one good movie, thanks in large part to Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey as the bad guys, but all the rest of his movies were crap
I thought Above The Law was a good one too.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 PM

668 posts, read 994,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
What? Has anyone seen Richie? Does anyone know why Richie did Bobby Lupo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies