Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times

Advertisements

Though in general I'm not particularly fond of most Disney movies, several of the classics still amaze me. I appreciate them for the artwork, mostly. This scene, for instance:

Bambi - Disney (Little April Shower) - YouTube

The entire thing is great, but that closing scene just blows my mind. I've never seen anything else quite like it in animation. Disney has made a lot of duds over the years, but when they do it right they REALLY knock it out of the park.

Incidentally, I watch a lot of animated films. In fact, I enjoy animation so much that I rarely watch live action films anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
I love Disney movies. You are NOT weird! =)

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Though in general I'm not particularly fond of most Disney movies, several of the classics still amaze me. I appreciate them for the artwork, mostly. This scene, for instance:

Bambi - Disney (Little April Shower) - YouTube

The entire thing is great, but that closing scene just blows my mind. I've never seen anything else quite like it in animation. Disney has made a lot of duds over the years, but when they do it right they REALLY knock it out of the park.

Incidentally, I watch a lot of animated films. In fact, I enjoy animation so much that I rarely watch live action films anymore.
Pinocchio, Bambi and Fantasia are like the 'holy trinity' of Disney films in terms of sheer sophistication of animation and sound. They're as good as anything that Disney has produced since, when it comes to hand-drawn animation. Disney started working on Bambi in the early 30s actually, it was the first feature film they began working on, even before Snow White, but it just took THAT long to complete. There's a bit of trivia for ya.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
^^Didn't know that! But considering the artwork in Bambi, I'm not surprised. By the way, here's some entries from a (now defunct) blog concerning Bambi. This guy would do screen captures from animated movies, then use Photoshop to stitch them together in such a way to eliminate the characters, showing only the background art. He has links to a ton of old movies where he's done this, but Bambi is still my favorite.

Animation Backgrounds: BAMBI

I could have sworn I read somewhere that at least some of the background art for Bambi was created using oil paints on glass, but I can't remember where I read it. BTW, though I haven't seen it, the background art for "Brother Bear" looks incredible, too:

Animation Backgrounds: BROTHER BEAR

But I still prefer the subtle, calm colors of Bambi.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
In general, I don't think it's necessarily odd to be a fan of Disney, either for artistic or nostalgic merit. In reality, though, when someone claims to be a huge Disney fan it's usually the middle-aged cat lady type who collects figurines and wears Disney sweatshirts.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I don't see anything wrong with being a fan of Disney at any age. They have made some amazing movies. I know a well respected highly professional lawyer who loves Disney and turns into a big silly kid when it comes to Smurfs and Star Wars. It is fun to enjoy things like that and always fun to be reminded of a favorite Disney movie from when you were a kid.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
"Do some people think it's weird for an adult to be a huge fan of Disney movies?"

Yes.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM

20 posts, read 19,684 times
Who cares what others think of your interests? I'm older than you are and I love Disney and Pixar films. I have also recently rediscovered the Boomerang Network which airs a lot of classic cartoons, and I regulary watch G.I Joe and The Transformers on the Hub Network. It makes me feel like a kid again and brings back lots of happy memories. Life is too short to care what others think.

On a side note I occasionally lurk on Disney message boards where many posters go on yearly vacations to Disney World, and you should read some of the comments they get from their family and friends for their vacations LOL

Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
My wife and I enjoy Disney and Pixar movies. Been watching them since I was a kid. One of my favorite all time movie from these two companies: Finding Nemo.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In general, I don't think it's necessarily odd to be a fan of Disney, either for artistic or nostalgic merit. In reality, though, when someone claims to be a huge Disney fan it's usually the middle-aged cat lady type who collects figurines and wears Disney sweatshirts.
Ahem I'm middled aged, not a cat lady hate figurines but I do wear Disney shirts very proudly thank you very much. Oh look at my status please. It's a joke on another thread but we all love Eeyore.

I started collecting Disney movies when I was in my early 20s on VHS then along came my children that enjoyed watching them too. They came out on DVD so started replacing the ones we had on VHS refuse to replace those with Blue Ray told DD she could if she wanted. It is her collection now she always asks for Disney animated movies for birthdays & Christmas. She now has well over 140 & BTW she doesn't wear Disney shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies