Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,199,587 times

Advertisements

Awesome movie, very well executed!

Just saw today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,683,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
Awesome movie, very well executed!

Just saw today
Oh, I agree! We saw it this afternoon and found it sublime. Betcha it will sweep the Oscars...Daniel Day-Lewis turned in an amazing performance--all the actors did! Kept up the dramatic tension all the way through. Spielberg's 12 years of research was apparent...I felt I was in a time machine during those Lincoln years. Not a Hollywood movie at all, so finely wrought. A big double-thumbs up from the Dolphin.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM

18,227 posts, read 25,880,114 times
One of the best movies I've seen in years!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
I thought it was okay. I'm not a big fan of exposition and "speechifying" on the big screen, but it's unrealistic not to expect a fair dose of that in a movie about Abraham Lincoln, and the speeches for the most part were good. The movie is good to the extent that it shows (not sure how accurately) some of the backdoor maneuvering to ensure the passage of the 13th Amendment. I was hoping, however, that we would get a richer portrait of Lincoln the Man. The movie's focus was largely on the political, which is not a bad thing per se, but I felt a bit more exploration into Lincoln's life would have made for a much more compelling story.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,489,298 times
Loved it! I can see this film getting many awards. Tommy Lee Jones was great also.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,466,549 times
I would suggest everyone read, The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by Thomas E Woods Jr especially the sections on Lincoln.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I thought it was okay. I'm not a big fan of exposition and "speechifying" on the big screen, but it's unrealistic not to expect a fair dose of that in a movie about Abraham Lincoln, and the speeches for the most part were good. The movie is good to the extent that it shows (not sure how accurately) some of the backdoor maneuvering to ensure the passage of the 13th Amendment. I was hoping, however, that we would get a richer portrait of Lincoln the Man. The movie's focus was largely on the political, which is not a bad thing per se, but I felt a bit more exploration into Lincoln's life would have made for a much more compelling story.
Interesting...funny how we all like and expect different things. I appreciate your point of view, yet what I most liked was the humanizing of Lincoln the Man--a behind the scenes look at his family life, his torture over the war, his grief (and Mrs. Lincoln's) at losing his/her son, and the extreme maneuvering to get that amendment passed. I was left with such deep, abiding respect for the man and the huge burden he carried, both politically, and domestically...he does, indeed, "Belong to the Ages."

Lincoln's folksy storytelling was fun...both the humor, the wit and the frequent eye-rolling of his listeners...it brought relief to the dramatic tension of the film, I thought...

Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 PM

266 posts, read 403,058 times
4/5 Stars!

I only wish it was more biographical. I feel like I didn't really learn much about Lincoln himself throughout the movie. I'm basicallyyy an expert on the 13th Amendment, though

Old 11-26-2012, 02:48 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Interesting...funny how we all like and expect different things. I appreciate your point of view, yet what I most liked was the humanizing of Lincoln the Man--a behind the scenes look at his family life, his torture over the war, his grief (and Mrs. Lincoln's) at losing his/her son, and the extreme maneuvering to get that amendment passed. I was left with such deep, abiding respect for the man and the huge burden he carried, both politically, and domestically...he does, indeed, "Belong to the Ages."

Lincoln's folksy storytelling was fun...both the humor, the wit and the frequent eye-rolling of his listeners...it brought relief to the dramatic tension of the film, I thought...
I liked that part of the movie as well. I never said I didn't enjoy the movie. I just think it's a bit overrated.

I felt like the personal details of his life were shoehorned into the script. Exposition rarely warms the heart like seeing images with your own eyes. And the speechmaking got a little corny at times. How many scenes were there with French horns in the background as Lincoln revs up for yet another round of magnificent oratory? I thought Spielberg did more to mythologize Lincoln on screen than he did to portray him as a real human being.

I also thought some of the humor was slapstick (the two guys running to the fiddle music or the guy kicking leaves on the Congressman) and unneccesarily injected into the movie. I guess I just don't take well to that type of thing in what I think should be "serious" movies.

Again, I appreciated the peak into Congressional backdoor dealings (even if the reality is far messier than Spielberg portrayed). But I still wasn't impressed by this film. I think it's success is largely owing to the fact that substantive movies with high quality writing and cinematography are so extremely rare today. I considered the King's Speech to be classic upon the first viewing but I feel quite differently about this movie. I'm sure others will disagree.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Insightful comments above! Appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies