Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:24 AM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,032 times

Advertisements

I had a thought that I would like to share with all of my fellow horror fans.

I always wondered what the real, filmmaking reason was that in the film ROSEMARY'S BABY, Mia Farrow got that horrible, manly haircut halfway through the film. She states that she went to Vidal Sassoon, which was a trendy place at the time, but in the film her husband hates it, and the negative change in her appearance was always so striking that I always sensed and later suspected that there was something behind it on the directorial level.

Tonight, after watching the movie for the probably the 20th time, I figured it out.

In the same scene as she reveals the haircut, she starts complaining about the pain that is indicative of the fact that something is wrong with her pregnancy. Shortly thereafter, the deterioration of her appearance in more objective ways (weight, paleness) becomes a major plot point and a topic of conversation in the following scenes.

The haircut contributes to her ugly appearance and sense of un-health. I never got that before, because it is a choice made by the character and thus, counter-intuitive, showing something that she controlled when real control is being taken from her. Oddly enough, it is something that she is taking away from her husband, who is also ultimately her chief oppressor. But from a pure, cinematic point of view, her short haircut relays to us immediately on a visual and visceral level that she is not the same person now that she is pregnant.

One of my favorite films has always been ROSEMARY'S BABY. I want to urge all of my younger horror friends who have not seen it to get it for Halloween.

I was borne in 1974, years after it was made, but to this day it holds up as one of the most adult, plausible, well written, directed and acted horror films of all times. Roman Polanksi, regardless of his personal character shortcomings, is one of the greatest directors of all time, and despite not being strictly religious, there is a lot in this movie, as well as the other films in the "apartment trilogy (Repulsion, The Tenant)" that fascinates me.

'If you have not seen this masterpiece, please go out and get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM

828 posts, read 907,524 times
Totally agree about the quality of the film, though I don't think I can sit through it 20 times

Never seen the other two in the trilogy. Too scared to see Repulsion, since I've seen a couple of scenes from it. Afraid it would come and haunt me later when I am alone!

Great thoughts on Rosemary's Baby!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:51 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,138,435 times
Pregnant women are supposed to gain, not lose weigh.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Mia Farrow cut her own hair (with manicure scissors) BEFORE she did Rosemary's Baby. She had long hair while she was in the cast of Peyton Place. The show's hairdressers had to scramble with wigs and all:

Where Were You the Day Mia Farrow Cut Her Hair?: A Micro Oral History | The Classic TV History Blog

Here's another article:

Vidal Sassoon? I did my pixie cut myself, says Mia Farrow of hairdresser's signature style | Daily Mail Online

Old 10-26-2014, 08:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Rosemary felt her independence slipping away from her; she was growing tired of the society, fashion and mores of older people like the Castavets and their friends. Rosemary getting her hair cut was a way to assert her youth - the short pixie was popular thanks to Twiggy - and independence, as well as to reinvent herself in her new role as a mother.

As for Guy. he hated her haircut; his negative reaction made her uneasy, increasing the uneasy feeling she'd had since the night she got pregnant.

If you haven't read the book, you really should.

Oh, and Mia Farrow wore a wig during the first half of the film.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Totally agree about the quality of the film, though I don't think I can sit through it 20 times

Never seen the other two in the trilogy. Too scared to see Repulsion, since I've seen a couple of scenes from it. Afraid it would come and haunt me later when I am alone!

Great thoughts on Rosemary's Baby!
Repulsion and The Tenant complete the trilogy.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Mia Farrow cut her own hair (with manicure scissors) BEFORE she did Rosemary's Baby. She had long hair while she was in the cast of Peyton Place. The show's hairdressers had to scramble with wigs and all:

Where Were You the Day Mia Farrow Cut Her Hair?: A Micro Oral History | The Classic TV History Blog

Here's another article:

Vidal Sassoon? I did my pixie cut myself, says Mia Farrow of hairdresser's signature style | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Rosemary felt her independence slipping away from her; she was growing tired of the society, fashion and mores of older people like the Castavets and their friends. Rosemary getting her hair cut was a way to assert her youth - the short pixie was popular thanks to Twiggy - and independence, as well as to reinvent herself in her new role as a mother.

As for Guy. he hated her haircut; his negative reaction made her uneasy, increasing the uneasy feeling she'd had since the night she got pregnant.

If you haven't read the book, you really should.

Oh, and Mia Farrow wore a wig during the first half of the film.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:08 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
Yes, you can tell it's a wig she's wearing in the beginning of the movie.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times
Never know there was a trilogy. I think I've seen R.B about 12 times.
It never fails to haunt the Jeezus outa me.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Never know there was a trilogy. I think I've seen R.B about 12 times.
I didn't either. Now my curiosity is kicking in and of course it isn't available to stream on Netflix.
btw, I loved that apartment in the film. Also, John Cassavetes (Guy) was married to Gina Rowlands
and it was her son, Nick, who directed the Notebook and cast his mom as the older Allie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies