Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, I am, but the best way to deal with it is not to go to them. If people want fewer comic book movies, then it's a perfect reason to patronize small, artsy, indie films instead. If people went to small gems like Winter's Bone, Frozen River, The Retrieval, or In a World, we'd get better films.
I'd love to see movies like Birdman, Foxcatcher and others that I've heard about on Beyond the Trailer or AMC Movie Talk because I love film period. The problem is there are no real indie theaters for me to go to. The AMCs play some indie films (one is playing Birdman another is playing The Judge and Dear White People.) That said, all comic book movies aren't mindless movies. Watchmen was a thought provoking movie as was the Nolan Dark Knight movies, the X-men series (besides Origins: Wolverine) and most of the Marvel Studios movies released so far. It's not like we are getting all Battleship or Transformer movies that are mindless action and just plain terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:19 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Birdman
does not fit into the marvel comic book movie whathaveyou, which is why I will see it.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
does not fit into the marvel comic book movie whathaveyou, which is why I will see it.
So you have no want to see X-Men which is very philosophic whether it was the comic, animated series or movie media? I'd really suggest seeing them or even Captain America. They may have the best chance of being the stereotypical popcorn movie with mindless action, action, action and no characters development. X-Men does with about four five characters per movie (Wolverine and I am guessing Deadpool are/will be different.) That is partially due to Bryan Singer coming from the indie world.

I was mentioning Birdman due to it being an indie film that I want to see but can't because of few indie options for me to view indie theaters in.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
So you have no want to see X-Men which is very philosophic whether it was the comic, animated series or movie media? I'd really suggest seeing them or even Captain America. They may have the best chance of being the stereotypical popcorn movie with mindless action, action, action and no characters development. X-Men does with about four five characters per movie (Wolverine and I am guessing Deadpool are/will be different.) That is partially due to Bryan Singer coming from the indie world.

I was mentioning Birdman due to it being an indie film that I want to see but can't because of few indie options for me to view indie theaters in.
Searching to see if any theater is playing a limited release film can be a chore. I use Movie Showtimes - Google Search. Searches across franchises for a specific city. We have two cities full of theaters, so I change location also. Found Birdman playing (I think today is the first day as I've been checking pretty regularly).

On a gamble, I did see xmdofp and didn't like it at all. Sat through the whole thing. Ended up being being very low on my 2014 list.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Searching to see if any theater is playing a limited release film can be a chore. I use Movie Showtimes - Google Search. Searches across franchises for a specific city. We have two cities full of theaters, so I change location also. Found Birdman playing (I think today is the first day as I've been checking pretty regularly).

On a gamble, I did see xmdofp and didn't like it at all. Sat through the whole thing. Ended up being being very low on my 2014 list.
I didn't really like it on first viewing either I really do want to give a second viewing. X1, X2 and First Class are really good. I have three cities to choose from and the furtest are 20+ miles away.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:03 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
I don't recall Dr. Strange using a sword, and the eye is in his amulet, not his cape - but he does tend not to use fists.

We finally reached an era when CGI is up to the task of duplicating what comic book artists have been doing with just pencil & paper; it's not surprising that Hollywood would exploit their new capabilities as much as possible.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:08 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I am. Hollywood seems to have OD's on this stuff, I guess because they probably tend to sell well overseas as well as here and make tons of money, at least a lot of them do. Or maybe they keep churning them out because they have a singular lack of imagination, even when it comes to fun-type, Saturday night, entertainment movies. How long will this go on you think? When will see an end to Tinseltown thinking we're all still 12 years old?

Here's a Wiki list of past and upcoming comic book movies. As far I can tell it's just TOO DAMN LONG!

List of films based on English-language comics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thoughts?
OMG YES (tired of it). Havent gone to any? since the first Ironman. Just not interested.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:49 AM

Or, you could see a movie about an actor who was in a comic book movie, but now is about to open on Broadway: Birdman.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:51 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I doubt it. Even as a little kid when I was a complete comic book nerd, I never liked Doctor Strange. Too weird.
What made Dr Strange so interesting is that he protected you from the things you didn't want to know was real.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:57 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,535 times
Quote:
I'm sick of rebooting ones. X-Men I gave a pass to because it was fresh idea with First Class being in the Cuban Missile Crisis and with Days of Future Past, it was ret-conned into the previous X-Men movies, Hulk I did after I knew the second was in the Marvel Cinematic Universe but say The Amazing Spiderman I sold on (other than using The Lizard in the first because I loved that villain and the Jeckyl/Hyde nature of Doc Conners) and not exactly buying Fantastic Four being rebooted. What I like with what DC, X-Men and Marvel are currently doing is doing new things and putting new characters out there not just the same old same old like Spiderman is doing with the return of the Harry Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus for the Sinister Six movie. Do we REALLY need another Batman film or another Superman film, maybe not but Batman and Superman in other DC films, YES. I mean Cyborg, Shazam!, Aquaman, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers let alone ANY form), The Inhumans, The Suicide Squad's villains have all not been in any feature film to date.

FYI, that list includes non superhero comic books that people may not have even known came from comics and/or graphic novels like 300, The Rock's Hercules, Alien vs. Predator (that shouldn't even count in the first place), Cowboys & Aliens, Transformers (much more widely known as a television show), Fritz the Cat, Josie and the Pussycats, Wanted, Men in Black, R.I.P.D., Richie Rich, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, V for Vendetta and Kingsman: The Secret Service.
I share the disgust at Marvel rebooting movie series, so that they can keep switching out casts, to younger, less expensive actors.

I do think that Marvel is on a roll with movies right now. The first Iron Man and the Avengers movie were outstanding and the two Captain America movies and Thor movies were pretty good as well (not a fan of the 2nd Iron Man movie). I even loved Gaurdians of the Galaxy, despite never reading the comic. They have committed to releasing several more movies, like Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. The bar of excellence is set pretty high for Marvel right now, so we will see if they can meet the expectation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies